CHURCH OF ST MARY OF THE PURIFICATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1045529
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY OF THE PURIFICATION, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY OF THE PURIFICATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045529 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 23:10:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY OF THE PURIFICATION, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Blidworth
National Grid Reference:
SK 58566 55631

Details

SK 55 NE BLIDWORTH MAIN STREET (south side)

1/4 Church of St.Mary of the Purification

11.8.61

G.V. II*

Parish church. C15, west nave and south aisle rebuilt 1739, east part of the south aisle and chancel re-erected 1839. Ashlar. Lead roofs. Single ridge cross to east chanel. Tower, nave, south aisle, south porch, south outbuilding, south vestry with porch and chancel. Restored C15 tower set on a deep chamfered plinth of 2 stages and embattled with single pinnacle at each angle. The west side has a single pair of arched lights with a single similar pair above. Each side of the belfry has a single pair of arched openings now glazed. Above, on the west and east sides are single clock faces. Embattled north wall with 4 C17 round arched windows each with architrave surround, imposts and keystone. The windows alternate with 5 small C14 carved heads. The east wall is set on a chamfered plinth with embattled east chancel having a single projecting bay with single arched window with 3 arched and cusped lights, hood mould and label stops. The south wall is set on a chamfered plinth. South vestry has a gabled porch with pediment formed in the gable. Round arched C17 doorway with architrave surround, imposts andkeystone, now part blocked and with single fixed light. In the re-entrant angle, to the right, is an arched doorway. To the left of the porch are 5 C17 round arched windows each with architrave surround, imposts andkeystone. Gabled south porch set on a chamfered plinth with slate roof and single ridge cross. Pediment formed in the gable. Restored round arched entrance with architrave surround imposts and keystone. Inner similar doorway. To the left of the south aisle and set back is an outbuilding with arched doorway with keystone, to the left is a single pointed arched opening with metal grille and further left the remains of a coffin slab with decoratively carved C13 cross. The west wall has a single small rectangular opening. The embattled clerestory has 6 pairs of arched windows. Interior. 5 bay 1739 nave arcade, Tuscan columns with chamfered arches and keystones. Doorway to tower. In the chancel is a doorway to the vestry. C18 panelled west gallery. C18 panelling to walls below sill level. C15 octagonal ashlar font with panels decorated with blind, mainly panel, tracery, set on a pedestal and with C20 cover. Early C19 pulpit transferred from Southwell Minster, c,1900, decorated with blind tracery, fleuron, crockets and carved heads. There is a C17 chest and 2 chairs with carved backs. C19 pews. Panelled reredos with 8 C17 panels decorated with foliate carving set into decorative arches, transerred from Southwell Minster. There is a meorial to William Bilbie, 1787, surmounting the inscription is a draped urn. That to Joseph Bilbie, 1747, has an arched head with foliate strips flanking the inscription. William Bilbie, 1777, by Christopher Theakston of Doncaster, this is topped with an urn, the apron is decorated with a shield. Alabaster monument to T. Leake, 1608, surround to the inscription decorated with a horn, skull, arrows, deer's head and other trappings of a Sherwood Forest Ranger. Over all is a decorative shaped head. There are a number of C19 memorials and a monument to those who died in the 1914-18 war. In the single central south window is stained glass by Mayer & Co. of Munich and London, 1874. There is a hymn board with KingDavid crudely painted on the reverse by Sheppard, 1779.

Listing NGR: SK5856655631

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
242060
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12892/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Ritchie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].