This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST RADEGUND

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST RADEGUND

List entry Number: 1045596

Location

CHURCH OF ST RADEGUND, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Maplebeck

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 241905

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MAPLEBECK CHURCH LANE SK 76 SW (west side) 8/55 Church of St. Radegund 11.8.61 I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C17, restored 1898 by Hodgson Fowler. Coursed squared rubble, dressed stone and ashlar, with plain tile roof. Partial chamfered plinth and sill band, chamfered eaves, coped gables with kneelers and crosses, single side wall ashlar stack. West tower, nave and north aisle under continuous roof, chancel, south porch. Single stage west tower, C14, has 2 diagonal buttresses to west, 4 setoffs, chamfered top band and octagonal broach spire with 4 single lucarnes and weathercock. To west, chamfered doorway with C19 door, and above, ogee headed single lancet. Above again,4 cusped ogee headed double lancets with quatrefoils. Nave, 3 bays, has to north 2 buttresses, 3 setoffs plus plinth. To east, C13 double lancet with trefoil heads, and to west, C19 chamfered pointed doorway. East end has a double lancet, early C14, with cusped ogee heads and incised lintel. South side has to west, corner buttress and to east, 2 buttresses, 2 setoffs plus plinths. To east, chamfered square headed reveal containing C19 cusped triple lancet in C14 style. To west, small chamfered rectangular light. To west again, 2 plain square headed lights in chamfered square headed reveal. Chancel, mainly 1898, 2 bays, has to north central C19 buttress, 5 setoffs. To east, a chamfered lancet and to west, blocked doorway with pointed head. East end has a larger lancet with hood mould and moulded stops. South side has central buttress, C13, 3 setoffs. To west, C19 double lancet, C13 style, with chamfered reveal. South porch, rebuilt 1898 with C15 roof, has stepped plinth and square blind recess on east side. South gable has cambered tie beam with central mask boss. Interior has stone benches and principal rafter roof with moulded cambered tie beam with central boss, tenoned purlins and collars and notched rafters. Inner south doorway has chamfered square headed reveal and C19 door. Inner reveal has stoup recess. Nave north arcade, early C14, has 2 octagonal piers with moulded octagonal bases and different octagonal capitals, and half round responds with round bases and octagonal capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches. East end has to left, trefoil headed stoup, C13, restored C19. South side has to east, restored chamfered pointed piscina. Roof has moulded tie beams and principal timbers with foliate bosses and flat panelled C18 ceiling. North aisle has panelled C19 lean-to roof and to east part of C14 altar set in wall, with chamfered sill, and 4 chamfered balusters with chamfered bases and half-octagonal capitals with rings. Tower arch, early C14, double chamfered and rebated, has large 3 sided responds with chamfered bases and moulded capitals. Tower chamber contains cleft timber ladder. Chancel has panelled oak screen, C17, panelled and with turned spindles and transom with staff moulding. North side has tomb recess with chamfered segmental head. East end has timber reredos, C19, with traceried panels. East window has stained glass by Kempe, 1898. C19 panelled wagon vaulted roof. Fittings include font, C14, restored C19. Stepped base, squat round stem, squat octagonal bowl with restored top band. Panelled oak pulpit, early C17,half-octagonal, with carving and bracketed top rail. Square panelled oak sound board. 15 C17 oak benches panelled and with staff mouldings. 3 C19 benches, 2 C19 panelled and carved oak stalls and desks. Communion rail, C18, restored, with bulbous turned spindles and moulded top rail. Plain oak parish chest, C18. Table, late C17, with turned legs and low stretchers. C19 lectern, brass and wrought iron, bracketed round stem and bookstand. Monuments include re-set incised cross slab and brass, 1898, referring to restoration.

Listing NGR: SK7108860765

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 71089 60764

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045596 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2018 at 04:41:34.

End of official listing