FRIARY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ADJOINING SUNDAY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1045638

Date first listed: 13-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: FRIARY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ADJOINING SUNDAY SCHOOL, MUSTERS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRIARY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ADJOINING SUNDAY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045638 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 13:13:16.

Location

Statutory Address: FRIARY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ADJOINING SUNDAY SCHOOL, MUSTERS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 58343 37755

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 53 NE WEST BRIDGFORD MUSTERS ROAD (west side)

1/7 Friary United Reformed Church and adjoining Sunday School II

Presbyterian Church and Sunday School. Now United Reformed Church. 1898. By Brewill and Baily. C15 style. Tooled and plain ashlar and brick. Hipped, gabled and lean-to plain tile roofs. Chamfered plinth, moulded parapet, shouldered coped gables, one with cross. Ornate iron gutter brackets. Single roof stack. Windows are mullioned casements with coved reveals and Decorated lancets with moulded reveals, coved mullions and hood moulds. Tower, nave and chancel, north and south aisles, vestry, Sunday school. North west tower, single stage, has string course and 4 pairs of battered corner buttresses plus a single central buttress each side. Corner buttresses extend upward to form pinnacles. Central buttresses have spouts at their heads. Moulded and shaped crenellated parapet. To north, 2 casements. To east, 2 double doors with moulded segmental heads. Above them, 2 double casements. Above again, on each side, a double lancet louvred opening with moulded segmental headed reveal. Nave clerestory has on each side 5 Decorated triple lancets with ogee heads. Nave east end has a pair of battered buttresses with stepped heads and 3 inscribed foundation stones, the central one dated 1900. Above, 3 mullioned casements. Above again, 5 light Decorated lancet with buttresses flanking mullions. Chancel west end has 5 light Decorated lancet with flowing tracery and hood mould. Above it, a small casement. North and south aisles have each 5 triple mullioned casements. Vestry, to north west, 3 bays, has shaped parapet and central coped gable. North side has a pair of double casements flanked by single doorways with moulded segmental heads and battered flanking buttresses. Beyond, to right, a casement. West side has 2 casements. Sunday School, adjoining west end, brick with ashlar dressings, has to north 3 casements. To west, off-centre gable with large metal casement, flanked to left by 2 and to right by 6 smaller metal casements. East side has central porch with coped parapet, containing doorway with moulded segmental head. Flanked by single casements. South gable has a casement and to right, parapeted porch in return angle with single segmental headed doorway. South east porch has to south 2 pairs of pointed double doors in pointed opening with hood mould. Pair of battered flanking buttresses. To east, a casement. Adjoining church hall is of no special interest. Nave north and south arcades, 5 bays, have octagonal piers and moulded segmental arches. Panelled dado. Glazed draught screen at west end. Hammer beam roof with large curved braces. North and south aisles have lean-to roofs and a door with segmental head at their west ends. Chancel has chamfered and pointed arch. Left side has pointed opening containing organ in C15 style traceried case. East end has panelled canopied screen. Central door with segmental head, flanked by single niches with segmental heads, containing War Memorial brasses, c.1920. Above door, similar brass, 1945. East window has stained glass memorial design c.1920. Monuments include large re-sited C14 style wall tablet, 1852. C20 stone tablet. 2 C20 brasses. Fittings include octagonal oak pulpit with buttresses, on ashlar base. Matching sounding board 1953. Panelled oak font on stand. Panelled softwood benches and stalls.

Listing NGR: SK5834337755

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 241798

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing