CHURCH OF ST GILES
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH DRIVE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045677.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 15:00:47.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH DRIVE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rushcliffe (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 58625 37535
SK 53 NE WEST BRIDGFORD CHURCH DRIVE
1/2 Church of St. Giles 13.12.49 G.V. II
Parish church. Mid C13, C14, C15, C16. Restored 1872 by T. C. Hine. Nave, north aisle, north porch, vestry in mid C15 style by Naylor and Sale 1896 and 1911. Coursed rubble, dressed stone and ashlar. Lead and plain tile gabled and lean-to roofs. Partial chamfered and moulded plinths, moulded string courses, sill bands, coped and crenellated parapets with pinnacles, coped gables with crosses. Moulded eaves bands with gargoyles. West tower, nave, chancel, north porch, north aisle, vestry, north transept, inner and outer south aisles, south porch. West tower, C15, single stage, has moulded eaves with 2 gargoyles to north and south. To west, 2 diagonal buttresses. South side has, above, inscribed stone. West side has restored triple lancet with panel tracery. North west corner has doorway. Above, each side has a double lancet in round headed reveal. Nave, 6 bays, extended 1898, has on each side 6 double lancets with Tudor arched heads, the easternmost pair C19. West end has C19 quadruple lancet with reticulated tracery and hood mould, flanked by single similar lancets. Chancel, 1896, under continuous roof, 3 bays, has to east a pair of diagonal buttresses. Tablet inscribed 'This foundation stone was laid by The Lady Byron (Thrumpton Hall) October 18th. AD 1896. "ipc lapis aduitori".' Above, 7 light Decorated style lancet with flowing tracery and hood mould. North porch has 2 diagonal buttresses, moulded doorway and canopied niche. West side has a double lancet. Buttressed north aisle, 5 bays, has canted east end. Windows are C15 style lancets with Decorated tracery. North side has 2 double lancets to east and to west, 2 quadruple lancets. Off- centre crested panel with Royal Arms inscribed 'To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Mrs. Heymann. Richard Hargreaves M.A. Rector. W. J. Furse, J.P., W. H. Tonkin, Churchwardens. June 22nd 1911.' East end has 3 double lancets. Vestry, 2 bays, has on west side 3 C16 style lancets. To their right, doorway. North end has 2 single lancets. North transept has to north a gabled buttress and a quadruple and a triple lancet with restored flowing tracery and hood moulds. East side has a double lancet. Former nave and chancel under continuous roof, now forming inner south aisle, 7 bays. East end has 2 restored triple lancets, mid C14 with flowing tracery and hood moulds. Above, restored spherical triangle window with flowing tracery. South side has to right, additional buttress and chamfered priest's door, mid C13, with hood mould, flanked by a double and a triple C16 lancet with hood moulds and mask stops. Above, 6 cusped double lancets c.1500 with triangular heads. Former south aisle, forming outer south aisle, 4 bays, has a small buttress each end. East end has restored C14 triple lancet with flowing tracery and hood mould. South side has central porch flanked by single C19 triple lancets. West end has a C13 lancet. South porch, C13, rebuilt late C19, has to south moulded doorway with hood mould. Above, blank opening. East side has re-set squint. West side has a small light. Interior has stone benches and panelled ceiling. Inner south doorway, C13. Tower arch, C15, chamfered and rebated, has C20 ringing gallery. Nave north and south arcades, 3 bays, have octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals. Chamfered and moulded arches. Low pitched roof with mask corbels and arch braces. West window has stained glass, 1938. Chancel arch has wall shafts and hood mould with angel stops. Coped screen wall with iron railing and central gates containing text. North side has 2 openings with C20 traceried oak screens, that to right containing text. East end has panelled timber reredos, 1896 and 1963. East window has stained glass c.1920. South side has to east, cusped ogee headed piscina. Above, window with stained glass, 1907. Low pitched roof with arch braces. North aisle has to west early C20 glazed screen. North side has central window with stained glass by Whitefriars Studio, 1971. To east, 2 doors with segmental heads. Low pitched roof with arch braces. Chapel to east of north aisle has central arch flanked by single smaller arches with wrought iron grilles. North side has to east, restored C14 cusped tomb recess with finial containing re-sited late C13 effigy, said to be Sir Robert de Luttrell. Above, window with stained glass, 1913. East end has reredos and 3 stained glass windows, 1945, 1946, 1953, probably by Powell of Whitefriars. Low pitched roof with arch braces. Inner south aisle arcade, 4 bays, C14, has 3 octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals, double chamfered and rebated arches, and 2 mask imposts. East end has cusped ogee panelled screen, c.1380, restored 1871 and 1931. Restored arch, C14 with 2 beast mask corbels. North side has opening to east, C19 with oak screen, 1922. East end has 3 windows with C19 stained glass. South side has to east, square piscina and aumbry, mid C13. To its right, ogee headed double sedilia with traceried spandrels; mid C14. Easternmost window has stained glass, 1919. Westernmost window has stained glass, 1901, by Heaton Butler and Bayne. Clerestorey has 6 late C19 stained glass windows. Restored late C14 roof with mask corbels and carved bosses. South aisle has east window with stained glass similar to that in south side east window by Taylor and Clifton. South side has to east C14 aumbry and piscina. Westernmost and west end windows have stained glass, late C19. Restored C15 lean-to roof. Octagonal font, C15. Panelled octagonal pulpit by Sir Charles Nicholson, 1948. Brass eagle lectern, 1898. C19 cross frame benches. Traceried panelled stalls and desks, c.1920. 2 carved panel back armchairs, early C18. Monuments include 8 C20 brasses, and brass to Waters family, 1867-1895. Panelled alabaster and slate war memorial 1918.
Listing NGR: SK5862537535
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 17 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27313
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing