CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045715.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:16:58.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Bassetlaw (District Authority)
- Harworth Bircotes
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 61370 91722
SK 69 SW HARWORTH CHURCH LANE
Church of All 1/62 Saints
Parish church. C12, C14. The chancel was rebuilt in 1672 and the whole church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1869 by C. J. Neale, when the transepts, vestry and organ chamber were added. Dressed coursed rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs with single stack at the north east end of the nave. Tower, nave, south porch, north and south transepts, north vestry and organ chamber, chancel. Diagonally buttressed C12 tower of 3 stages, set on a plinth with C14 embattled parapet and 8 crocketted pinnacles, On both the north and the south sides are 2 gargoyles. There is a string course extending over the west window and a further string course under the bell chamber openings. The C19 arched 3-light west window with tracery, cusping and hoodmould has to the right a memorial to the Short family, c,1805 with a small stair light over. The south wall has 3 stair lights. There are 4 arched bell chamber openings, each with 2 lights tracery and cusping. The north west wall of the nave has a stylised cross carved in relief. The north nave wall is set on a plinth and has an embattled parapet. There are 3 arched 2-light windows each with panel tracery, cusping, hoodmould and head label stops. The diagonally buttressed north transept is set on a plinth and has an embattled parapet. The north wall has an arched 5-light window with panel tracery, cusping, hoodmould and head label stops. The organ chamber and vestry with single angle buttress is set on a plinth and has an embattled parapet. In the east wall are 2 windows both with tracery and cusping, under a flat head with hoodmould and head label stops. The east end of the nave is embattled. The chancel is set on a plinth, has ashlar quoins at the east end and a single ridge cross. There is a raised decorative eaves band dated 1672 in the apex, with single gargoyles to the north east and south east. The east end has 3 arched windows, the central one being slightly larger. Each window is flanked by a single slim engaged column with decorated capital supporting an impost and a moulded arch. A hoodmould extends over all 3, the centre window having 2 head label stops. The restored south doorway has 4 engaged columns with decorated capitals which support imposts and a moulded arch, there is an inner order of roll moulding. The diagonal buttressed south transept is set on a plinth and has an embattled parapet. The east wall has a 2- light arched window with tracery, cusping, hood mould and head label stops. The south wall has a 5-light arched window with panel tracery, cusping, hood mould and head label stops. The embattled south nave is set on a plinth and has a 3-light arched window with tracery, cusping, hood mould and head label stops. Under is a C14 tomb recess with worn cusped arch and hood mould. The south porch is set on a plinth and has a damaged ridge cross. The moulded arched doorway with hood mould and head label stops has an arched and cusped niche over with hood mould. The south nave wall has a further 2-light arched window with tracery, cusping, hood mould and head label stops. The inner, heavily restored, C12 doorway has 2 pairs of colonnettes, the inner pair engaged, supporting imposts and a moulded arch. Interior: double chamfered tower arch. The transept/nave double chamfered arches are supported on engaged columns. The north transept/north vestry arch is double chamfered. The heavily restored C12 chancel arch has an inner order of square piers and imposts supporting a square edged arch, single engaged fluted columns with scalloped capitals and imposts support on arch of alternate roll moulding and square section. There is an outer order of single engaged columns with cushion capitals supporting a moulded arch. In the left square pier is a small rectangular opening. The south chancel doorway has an inner arch of chevron supported on imposts and an outer moulded arch, there is a similar arch over the north vestry doorway, however there is a further inner moulded arch. The south wall has a piscina and a double sedilia. The east window corresponds to the exterior, however the hood mould is decorated with trefoil. The C17 altar table has a later top. The altar rails are also C17, the font C18 and the pulpit, lectern and reading desk late C19. The roof is supported on corbels. On the south chancel wall is a monument topped with a pediment with central roundel to Stephen Ferrand 1788 and a further monument topped with a pediment to Henry Brown Woodcock and his wife Sarah 1833. The north chancel wall has a monument with shield on the apron to Joshua and Ann Waddington 1780 by J. Wallis, Newark.
Listing NGR: SK6137091722
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing