CHURCH OF ST ANNE AND BOUNDARY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1045754

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANNE AND BOUNDARY WALL, NEWCASTLE AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANNE AND BOUNDARY WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045754 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 09:58:12.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANNE AND BOUNDARY WALL, NEWCASTLE AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 57892 78786

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 57 NE WORKSOP NEWCASTLE AVENUE (South side)

3/96 Church of St. Anne and 13.2.67 boundary wall

G.V. II

Parish church. 1911, by Paley and Austin for Sir John Robinson; C15 Perpendicular revival style. Textured ashlar with ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate, lead, slab and boarded roofs. North tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof, north aisle, north porch, north transept, morning chapel, vestry, south transept with lean-to, south aisle. Corner-buttressed battered tower, 4 stages has plinth, string courses, decorative bands and inscribed band,crenellated parapet with traceried panels. West side has, above, double lancet; north side has moulded pointed arched doorway with traceried spandrels; above, ogee headed triple lancet with traceried panelled reveal; above again, double lancet and clock. East side has,to right, canted stair turret with parapet, and above, double lancet. South side has, above, single light. Fourth stage has 2 double lancet ogee headed bell openings with intermediate pilaster and angel capital on 3 sides, and single similar opening to east. Nave west end has 2 gabled buttresses, crenellated lintel band, and shouldered coped gable with cross. To left, double lancet with hood mould. Central projecting canted bay forming baptistry has string course and moulded coped parapet and squat double lancet with hood mould. Above, cusped quadruple lancet with stepped cusped transom, flanked by single traceried panels in moulded reveal with hood mould. Above again, single small light. Clerestorey has on each side 4 triple lancets with hood moulds. Buttressed north aisle, 4 bays, has to east, traceried round window and to west, 3 segmental headed windows with hood moulds. North porch, one bay, has plinth, parapet and pointed arched door to north and single lancet to west. North transept has 2 gabled buttresses, that to left with foundation stone, and shouldered coped gable. To north, quadruple ogee headed lancet with stepped cusped transom and to east, single square headed window. Single bay morning chapel has one corner buttress and shouldered coped gable with cross. To north, single lancet, and to east, ogee headed triple lancet. Buttressed 2 bay chancel has string course, inscribed and billetted lintel bands, and shouldered coped gable with cross. Each side has 2 superimposed double lancets with elliptical and ogee heads and transoms. East end has quintuple ogee headed lancets with hood mould, and above, single quatrefoil right. Vestry, one storey, one bay, has moulded coped parapet and hipped roof. East side has three 2 and 4 light mullioned windows, and to right, projecting porch with chamfered doorway and slab roof. South side has single 4 light mullioned window. South transept has single buttress and shouldered coped gable with chimney stack. To south, lean-to porch, containing 2 light mullioned window and doorway. Above, double lancet with lights blocked below transom. Single bay lean-to to left has segmental headed double lancet. South aisle, 4 bays, has 3 segmental headed quadruple lancets, and to west, pointed arched doorway with hood mould. West end has one double lancet and single crorner buttress. Nave has 5-bay arcades with octagonal piers and barrel vaulted king post roof. Chancel has chamfered and rebated arch and to north, 2 bay arcade containing glazed timber screen. North corner has elaborate C14 style alabaster canopied tomb of Sir John Robinson, containing recumbent marble figure and signed 'Albert Toft Sc 1930'. East end has elaborate timber screen and alabaster reredos, 1931. South corner has linked aumbry, piscina and sedilia. Windows have C20 stained glass attributed to Wailes. Barrel vaulted king post roof. Nave and aisles have moulded and panelled deal pews. Panelled square stone pulpit with canted front with figure carving and Arms. Carved timber lectern. Tapered octagonal font with shield panels and timber cover. Outside, irregularly coursed ashlar boundary wall with ashlar coping, 2 terminal piers and 4 gatepiers with canted corners and concave-domed tops. Pair of matching wrought iron gates. Approx. 125M long.

Listing NGR: SK5789278786

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 241305

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing