CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1045812

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD, CHURCH STILE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045812 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 00:59:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD, CHURCH STILE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rochdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 89666 13145

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 8913 SE ROCHDALE CHURCH STILE (north-west side) 11/42 Church of Saint 25.10. 1951 Chad

G.V. II*

Church. Tower C13 and later, top stage added in 1870. Nave arcade columns partly C14, arches in south aisle C14, clerestory 1557, chancel and chapel 1883-8, otherwise of various Victorian restorations. South aisle, porch and belfry by W.H. Crossland, chancel and chapels by J.S. Crowther. Rossendale stone, Yorkshire stone and slate and copper roofs. Nave with aisles, clerestory, central west tower and south porch. Chancel with chapels to north and south. Largely in a Decorated style. Castellated 5-bay nave and aisle with square headed 3-light cusped windows and 3- light traceried windows to aisle in mixed style with hood moulds. Weathered buttresses and crocketed pinnacles. South porch has diagonal weathered buttresses, grotesque gargoyles, crocketed pinnacles, statue of St. Chad and arched opening with heavily enriched ogee shaped surround. The 3-stage castellated tower has offset angle buttresses surmounted by carved heads and decorative pinnacles, elaborate bell-stage, gargoyles and crocketed pinnacles. The 6-bay castellated chancel has clerestory and side chapels with square-headed traceried clerestory lights and 3-light, four-centred arches to chapel with Perpendicular tracery. Buttresses and pinnacles as above but with grotesque gargoyles. The chancel roof is higher than that of the nave, the east window is of 6-lights with Perpendicular tracery. Interior: 6-bay nave arcade with alternating round and octagonal piers with stiff-leaf and upright-leaf and headed capitals, and some with broaches at the springing of the arches. The arches are double chamfered and the roof of an ornate tie-beam construction. The chancel is also of 6 bays with clustered columns. Fittings: plain C14 font, some Perpendicular stalls and chapel screens, C17 twisted-baluster communion rail in south chapel. W. Morris west window 1872-4, A.S. Wild, Top o'th'Steps, 1970 and B.o.E.

Listing NGR: SD8966613145

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 358869

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)
Wild, A S, Top o'th'Steps, (1970)

End of official listing