TONFORD MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1045882
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1952
Statutory Address:
TONFORD MANOR, TONFORD LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045882.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 06:44:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
TONFORD MANOR, TONFORD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Canterbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Thanington Without
National Grid Reference:
TR 12493 57040

Details

1. 5273 THANINGTON WITHOUT TONFORD LANE

Tonford Manor TR 15 NW 8/608 29.9.52

II*

2. The remains of a fortified Cl5 house which bad 4 round towers built by Sir Thomas Browne Controller and treasurer to King Henry VI. The licence to crenellate was granted in 1449. This now has later timber-framed and C18 additions. The oldest portion of the exterior is the north front. Two storeys, built of stone rubble, flints and red brick. Hipped tiled roof. Casement windows. One window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with stone mullions now restored and having 6 mullions and one similar window of 2 lights with the mullions missing. At the north-west angle is a semi-circular baston, probably one of the 4 round towers, with a red brick stringcourse and a diaper pattern of brick. At the north-east angle are the remains of a similar bastion. Garderobes in these towers. The original building extended further west and there are remains of the continuation of the north wall with part of 2 similar bastions to the west with diaper patterned brickwork. Three double mullioned windows. Behind the north front the house is timber-framed but its west and south fronts have been refaced with red brick in the C18. Two storeys and attic. Hipped tiled roof with 2 dormers facing south and one dormer facing west. Stringcourse. Six sashes 2 dormers facing south 5 sashes with glazing bars intact and one dormer facing west. Modern gabled porch. The interior contains a roof of chestnut with 3 harmerbeam trusses and moulded purlins and some Tudor brick and stone fireplaces. Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon once spent 3 days here. The south-west side has a C15 gatehouse built of flint with a stone arch.

Listing NGR: TR1249057040

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
171476
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].