This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1045887

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Eglingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 236524

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EGLINGHAM SOUTH CHARLTON NU 12 SE 3/181 Church of St. James GV II

Parish church, 1862 by James Deason of London for 4th Duke of Northumberland. Snecked stone with tooled ashlar dressings; grey Lakeland slate roof. 4-bay unaisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Early English style. Chamfered plinth. Nave has lancets in side walls, large stepped buttress at south-east corner, 2 taller lancets with hoodmoulds in west end, and stepped western bellcote with pointed arch and moulded finial. Gabled porch has double-chamfered arch with hoodmould on shafted jambs, and a square- headed loop in each return; collared rafter roof with ashlar pieces. South doorway has studded double doors with foliate hinges in similar arch. Chancel has studded priest's door on south with foliate hinges, under moulded arch on shafted jambs; window of 2 trefoil-headed lights to right. Stepped triplet of lancets with hoodmoulds in east end. Pent vestry has twin lancets to east and stepped stack with round shaft on chancel wall.

Interior: Plastered. Tall double-chamfered chancel arch on shafted responds has hoodmould with foliage boss stops. Integral stone pulpit with quatrefoil frieze and foliate corbel bookrest. Collar-beam nave roof with arch braces rising from moulded stone brackets; collared rafters and ashlar pieces. Collared common-rafter chancel roof with ashlar pieces. Panelled sanctuary and reredos dated 1885; moulded altar rail on wrought-iron standards. Simple choir stalls and bench pews in nave. Octagonal font with dogtooth ornament, and cover with ornamental ironwork.

Information re architect from Dr. Shrimpton, Estate Archivist.

Listing NGR: NU1648520242

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NU 16485 20242

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045887 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2018 at 06:51:53.

End of official listing