CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1045912
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE, SACOMBE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045912.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:41:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE, SACOMBE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Sacombe
National Grid Reference:
TL 33602 19360

Details

SACOMBE SACOMBE GREEN TL 31 NW (Southwest side) Sacombe 4/102 Church of 24.11.66 St. Katherine - II*

Parish church. C14. Plaque in chancel records 'This church was restored by Abel Smith Esq. of Woodhall Park, Patron of the Living, the works y being continued from the 24th May 1855 to the 10th of Feb 1856 when it was opened again for divine service. The roof, tower, vestry and west wall. were rebuilt, the organ loft formed, and new oak seats made, and the outside of the church entirely refaced with flint.' Knapped flint facing with some flint rubble in plinth. Dressings of stone re-used from demolished church at Thundridge. Tiled roofs. Nave with narrower shorter chancel. Tall S tower over entrance. Vestry to N of chancel. Chancel: 3 light E window, 2 centred arched head, restored curvilinear tracery, mask stopped hood mould, trefoil opening in stone coped gable parapet with masks on kneelers, ridge cross. 2 stage buttresses to returns. Chancel to S has 2 restored 2 light windows with 2 centred heads, curvilinear tracery, linked hood moulds. Continuous plinth. Sprocket eaves. Vestry has a separate roof. 3 lancets in a square surround to N with small buttresses. Quatrefoils in gables with a 3 light pointed arched window with intersecting tracery to E, steps to 2 centred arched door to W. Kneelers to coped gable parapets. Nave E end has similar parapet over 2 stage buttresses. Towards E end of nave to N and S are 2 light windows as in chancel. Nave W end has a tall 3 light window, buttresses at ends with parapet as to E. Tall square 4 stage S tower is unbuttressed with small stone quoins. To S: pointed arched opening with a triple chamfer, hood mould, squared flint voussoirs, above a 3 light window formerly to organ loft and a clock imposed on a slit opening. String course to belfry with tall louvred lancets with trefoiled heads to all sides. Embattled parapet. Tower to E has 2 lights in a square surround on lower stage, 3rd stage trefoiled slit. To W a semi-octagonal stair turret on 3 stages with entrance, slit openings, stone quoining. Inner entrance to S is a double chamfered 2 centred arch. Interior: C14 2 centred chancel arch, double chamfered, the outer order dying into wave moulded responds with C19 foliate stops. C19 roofs, scissor braced in nave, braced collar beams in chancel. Over S entrance is former organ loft with a 4 centred moulded arch and a corbelled balcony with a Gothic panelled frontal. Chancel S wall has restored C14 piscina and double sedilia with cusped ogee arches with crocketed finials, hexafoil bowl in piscina. C19 Gothic fittings. Fixed to pulpit is C17 iron hour glass holder. Chancel N wall: large marble epitaph to T Rolt, d.1758, by M. Rysbrack. Cornice ramped up to centre over a cherub, flags, trophies and arms above, scrolled jambs with festoons, 2 cherubs at base flanking a cartouche with arms. Marble epitaph to Elizabeth Caswall, d.1815, by Flaxman. Inscription with consoles at base of tapering black marble slab with low relief allegorical female figures, one standing with upraised arm, the other kneeling and weeping, pedimental head with ante fixae and acroterion. Stone epitaph to J. Meriton, d.1669, with richly carved surround, scrolled jambs with festoons, cherub at base, scrolled head with skull. In one sedile are reset brass inscriptions to J and E. Dodyngton, d.1537 and 1544. In vestry W wall a reset marble epitaph to Sir T. Rolt, d.1710, 'Agent of Persia and President of India'. In N wall an C18 cherub from base of another monument. Late C19 Resurrection in E window. (East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions, vol,1, pt.1, 1899,p.85: RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL3360219360

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
356210
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 1, (1899), 85
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16407/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].