MAUNDS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1046314

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: MAUNDS FARMHOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAUNDS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046314 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 10:51:53.

Location

Statutory Address: MAUNDS FARMHOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Deddington

National Grid Reference: SP 46551 31627

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP4631 DEDDINGTON HIGH STREET (West side) 8/172 Maunds Farmhouse 19/06/87

GV II* Farmhouse incorporating parts of a manor house, now house, Probably rebuilt early C17, incorporating late-C12 and possibly later medieval features, and altered C18/earIy C19. Coursed squared marlstone with wooden lintels plus ashlar plinth and quoins; Stonesfield-slate roof with stone-and-brick stacks. L plan in 2 or 3 builds. 2 storeys. Left bay of 4-window front has a higher ridge and has 3-light casements to both floors, the upper with splayed mullions and leaded glazing. Central section has a symmetrical 3-window arrangement (probably a C18 re-modelling) with a 6-panel door flanked by renewed casements, but with 2-light early-C18 casements at first floor; to extreme right of it are traces of a blocked doorway. Steep-pitched roof, with stacks flanking the middle section, continues over blind bay to right and returns to a 2-window rear wing with a fine ashlar gable stack. Wing retains some leaded casements, 3 at first floor with oak splayed mullions and stop-chamfered lintels. Rear wall of main range, which may be medieval, is partly obscured by a tall C19 brick wing, but has 4 old oak-framed casements, one in the blocked doorway of a former through passage and another in part of a tall narrow opening which may be a hall window. Interior: left section has a large stop-chamfered spine beam and heavy square joists with face tenons and soffit spurs. Middle section has massive intersecting chamfered beams and a very wide inglenook fireplace with a cambered chamfered bressumer, the chamfer returning down ashlar jambs, and with a rubble relieving arch. The wall separating the central section from the right section is pierced by two adjoining round-arched doorways of c.1200, with moulded imposts and chamfers terminating in decorative stops, which opened from a former through passage: the doors are of unequal size, and are probably 2 of the 3 service doors of a large Cl2 manor house, the service end of which partly survives in the right bay and rear wing. The present left, middle and right sections of the house may correspond to the chamber block, hall, and service range of a later hall house. The latter range formerly extended further to rear, in the ruins of which is a large C17 open fireplace. The manor house was probably that of Warin FitzGerald who succeeded to a third share of the manor of Deddington in 1190. (Information from Dr. John Blair.)

Listing NGR: SP4655131627

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 243897

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing