Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1046370

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 05-May-1988



Ordnance survey map of ADDERBURY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046370 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2019 at 11:52:56.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Adderbury

National Grid Reference: SP 47633 35639


SP4735 ADDERBURY THE GREEN (East side) Adderbury East 7/113 Adderbury House 08/12/55 (Formerly listed as Adderbury House with outbuildings and gateway) GV II Large house incorporating parts of a mansion, now an old people's home. C17 house of Earls of Rochester remodelled probably 1722 for Duke of Argyll; enlarged probably 1731 by Roger Morris; altered for Duke of Buccleuch in 1768, probably by sir William Chambers; mostly demolished 1808; re-modelled and enlarged 1891 for J.W. Larnach. Marlstone ashlar; Stonesfield-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. Courtyard plan. Baroque style. 3 storeys. 6-window south front, now the entrance front, with plinth, second-floor storey band and a plain parapet rising from a similar band, breaks forward in the 2 middle bays below a triangular pediment containing a blind occulus; sashes have semi-circular heads at ground and first floors, and have segmental heads at second floor. The central doorway also has a semi-circlular head, and it and 2 flanking windows are sheltered by a late-C19 stone portico with 4 ionic columns and a heavy entablature. The outer bays are probably of 1722, the date inscribed on 2 very fine lead rainwater heads in the form of triangular consoles with scrolled lugs. Return walls both have plainer lead heads dated 1750, and on the west is a head bearing the Argyll crest and a date noted as 1724 but now obscured by an iron band. 4-window late-C19 east and west ranges, with similar windows, are set back but project a bay either side of the main range; both have parapets which break into central pediments. East range probably incorporates some walling from the earlier building. Single-storey kitchen range stands on a plinth containing the cellars of the early-C18 north range, originally forming the left side of a 3-sided courtyard. The inner faces of the north and south ranges both retain some early walling. All ranges have hipped roofs. Interior: south range retains some C18 egg-and-dart architraves, a Rococo plaster ceiling in a first-floor room, several small C18 fireplaces and the upper flights of an apsidal late-C18 stair with stick balusters and a mahogany handrail; the fine cellars below the north wing have depressed-arched stone vaults springing from square imposts, and are 3 bays wide by at least 7 bays long. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp416-418; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, pp7-9; Country Life 1949, Vol 105, pp30-32)

Listing NGR: SP4763335639


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 243836

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 416-418
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 7-9
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 105, (1949), 30-32

End of official listing