Details
1.
1485 LADY MARGARET HALL
Old Hall
SP 50 NW 24/33E II 2.
Mid C19. Gothic style, altered. Yellow brick. 2 storeys, basement and attic.
3:1:2 windows, the centre one recessed; wooden sashes. Gabled porch.
Gabled slate roof. Old Hall shall be amended to read:- Old Hall (the original portion) ------------------------------------ LADY MARGARET HALL
1.
1485
Old Hall
SP 50 NW 24/33E
II The entry shall be amended to read:-
OXFORD
SP50NW NORHAM GARDENS
612-0/24/33E Lady Margaret Hall: Old Hall
28/06/72
GV II
University college, women's hall. Circa 1879, by Pike and Messenger or Willson Beasley for St Johns
College's Norham Manor Estate; extended 1881-3 by Basil Chawneys for Lady Margaret Hall.
Original part gault brick with stone dressings and slate gabled roof; extension red brick with some
moulded brick dressings and tiled roof with shaped gable ends; brick stacks. PLAN: The original house
to the right, [west],is a large Victorian villa in a basically Gothic style; it was extended in 1881-3 in a
Queen Anne/Dutch style; the extension has a double-pile plan on three floors with chambers at the
front and back off axial corridors and there is a separate staircase in a smaller linking block at the right
end. EXTERIOR: Original house on right: 2 storeys attic and basement, 3:1:2 bays gabled to left and
right and with gabled dormer at centre, sashes in moulded cambered arch openings, moulded brick
stringcourses and doorway at centre with stone gabled Gothic portal with short columns with carved
capitals; similar at rear but canted bay on left and no portal. 1881-3 extension on left [east]: 2 storeys
and attic, 4 symmetrical bays divided on first floor and attic by brick pilasters on little consoles and
moulded brick stringcourses breaking forwards at the pilasters and at the attic window aprons, the first
floor windows have similar shaped brick aprons and both the upper floor windows have moulded brick
cornices, the attic with little Dutch gables over; the parapets between rise up over the pilasters; the
ground floor is plain but all the windows have pairs of tall 12-pine sashes in moulded cases. Set back
on left is a small 3-storey 3-window link, partly roughcast. Similar 4-bay rear elevation but without
pilasters and parapet and with hipped dormers. INTERIOR: Original house has an open-well staircase
with a moulded wooden balustrade. The 1881-3 extension appears to be virtually unaltered inside and
has a good dog-leg staircase with moulded balusters and moulded handrail ramped up to clustered
baluster newels; staircase and corridors have round arches, the corridors with ceiling cornices and
panelled doors with overlights to chambers which retain their original little Baroque chimneypieces.
HISTORY: Lady MmHISTORY: Lady Margaret Hall was the first women's college at Oxford. It was founded in 1878 for
women to be prepared for university examinations, but it did not become a full college until 1960.
Originally it occupied one of the Norham Garden villas which the College extended in 1881-3. There
were further large extensions in 1896 and 1909-10 by Sir Reginald Blomfield, again in 1915 and 1926
and in 1931 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and in 1957-61 the Wolfson Quad by Raymond Erith.
SOURCES: Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, pp 230-2, 317-8. Hinchcliffe,T. North Oxford, pp
153-157,233. Hibbert,C. and Hibbert,E. The Encyclopaedia of Oxford. ------------------------------------ LADY MARGARET HALL
1.
1485
Old Hall
SP 50 NW 24/33E
II
2.
Mid C19. Gothic style, altered. Yellow brick. 2 storeys, basement and attic.
3:1:2 windows, the centre one recessed; wooden sashes. Gabled porch.
Gabled slate roof.
Listing NGR: SP5157407585
Legacy
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number:
244961
Legacy System:
LBS
Sources
Books and journals Hibbert, C, The Encyclopaedia of Oxford Hinchcliffe, T , North Oxford153-157 Hinchcliffe, T , North Oxford233 Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 230-232 Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 317-318
Legal
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official list entry
Print the official list entry