MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1046889

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1951

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, BAINTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046889 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 15:47:18.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, BAINTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Bucknell

National Grid Reference: SP 56122 25540

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKNELL BAINTON ROAD SP52NE (South side) 4/17 Manor House 26/11/51 GV II

Manor house, now 2 linked dwellings. Early C17, possibly partly earlier, altered and partly rebuilt probably c.17OO for Lenthall Trotman, extended c.1830 for the Tyrwhitt-Drake family, altered late C19 and late C20. Partly-coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate, Welsh-slate, plain-tile and artificial stone-slate roofs with stone and brick stacks. H plan, enlarged to courtyard plan with subsidiary wings, 2 storeys plus attic and 3 storeys. Symmetrical 5-window coursed-rubble front of central range, probably rebuilt c.1700 to replace the hall range, has late-C19 stone-mullioned windows with transoms, all of 2 lights except the single-light window over the C19 stone porch; the front door within retains a stone architrave. Roof has three C19 roof dormers. Both crosswings project slightly below gables with scalloped bargeboards which may be C17. Right wing has a plinth and has moulded strings to both floors, which step back slightly, and returns to a long wing which has a 2-storey 5-sided bay window; all windows have C19 stone mullions and transoms except for a C19 ovolo-moulded 2-light stone-mullioned window in the rear gable. A lateral stack retains a C17 diagonal brick shaft. Lower left crosswing has similar renewed windows in its front gable wall, and has massive rubble stacks rising from the left side; it extends further to rear and has a steep hip at the far end of the roof. A 3-storey squared-rubble range of c.1830 linking the 2 ranges, has a symmetrical 3-window garden front with 12-pane first-floor sashes, shorter sashes above, and inserted mullioned windows at ground floor; shallow-pitched Welsh-slate roof has projecting boxed eaves. Low stone-slated service ranges farm a further courtyard to left of the house, and link to a taller range of 1865 with large mullioned-and-transomed windows, which may have contained a billiard room or schoolroom. A single-storey late-C20 range extends forwards from the left side of the house. Interior: main (north) and west ranges contain much C17 panelling and 3 fireplaces: the hall fireplace has a triple-arched overnantel; the other fireplaces and some of the decorative panelling may be re-used work from Jacobean beds. Attic of west range contains two moulded C17 doorways. A fine early-C17 plaster ceiling in the west range has elaborate strapwork and roundels depicting the heads of historical figures; the room also has mid-C18 fielded panelling with an arched pilastered entrance, and has a Rococo fireplace from another room. 4 more bedrooms have plainer pine panelling and C18 fireplaces, some panelling re-used from elsewhere. An early-C18 egg-and-dart fireplaces with an elaborate frieze and cornice, now in the east range is also re-located. Early-C18 closed-string stair, rising to attics, has ramped moulded handrails and turned balusters. Early-C19 south range, now part of a separate dwelling, has a fine drawing-room fireplace with fluted Ionic columns. Butt-purlin routs to east, north and west ranges are all probably of c.1700. (VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI, pp71-2; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p50l)

Listing NGR: SP5612225540

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 244541

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 501
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 71-2

End of official listing