CHURCH OF ST OLAVE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1046892

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST OLAVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OLAVE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046892 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 12:17:58.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST OLAVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Fritwell

National Grid Reference: SP 52452 29301

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FRITWELL SP52NW 3/24 Church of St. Olave 07/12/66 GV II*

Church. C12, C13 and C14, restored and partly rebuilt 1864 by G.E. Street. Coursed squared limestone rubble with limestone-ashlar and some marlstone-ashlar dressings; lead, Stonesfield-slate and plain-tile roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. Restored C13 chancel has a C19 east window, but retains a small lancet to north and an ogee-headed C14 lancet to south; the buttresses incorporate C15 carved panelling. The narrow lean-to south aisle has a small lancet to east and a restored lancet to west, but has square-headed C14 and C15 windows to south of 2 and 3 lights; the fine C12 doorway, sheltered by a C19 porch, has chevron ornament surrounding a tympanum carved with 2 beasts devouring a tree. The north aisle, which is also parapetted in marlstone, has similar windows to north but the east and west windows are traceried; the C12 doorway is plainer but has a cable mould around the arch. The rebuilt pyramid-roofed tower incorporates tall 2-light C13 bell-chamber openings with plate tracery. Interior: chancel has a re-sited column piscina or stoup of C.1200, and the north wall contains the Romanesque former chancel arch of 2 orders, the outer with chevron decoration. Chancel arch is C19, but the 4-bay nave arcades of 2 chamfered orders are probably C13 on the south, with round columns and some nailhead ornament, and C14 on the north, with octagonal columns. The roofs, including a crown-post roof in the nave, and all the fittings are C19, except for a panelled C14 font which tapers towards the base, and the western gallery, made up from Jacobean woodwork in 1901. (VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol VI, p144; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp608-9)

Listing NGR: SP5245229301

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 244548

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 144

End of official listing