82 AND 83, ST ALDATES STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1047154
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
82 AND 83, ST ALDATES STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 82 AND 83, ST ALDATES STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047154 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 02:30:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
82 AND 83, ST ALDATES STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 51404 05834

Details

ST ALDATE'S STREET 1. 1485 (West Side) Nos 82 & 83 SP 5105 NW 12/455 12.1.54. II* GV 2. RCHM 152. 2 houses and shops. 1 building. C15 in origin, remodelled in early C17. Architecturally an important house. 2-storeyed rubble with 2 timber-framed gabled attic dormers over No 82 and a gable over No 83 with a Welsh slate roof. There is a thin-bricked central stack with diagonally set shafts. In the centre is a passageway, the side of which on the South is partly lined with some C15 studding, and in each house a side doorway. No 82 has on the ground floor a modern 6 light mullion window with the remains of the C17 cornice above it, and in the 1st floor is a C17 6-light stone mullioned window in a moulded frame. In the 2 attic dormers are modern casement lights but the Cl7 cills and brackets remain below them. No 83 has a ground floor shop front and part of the original cornice; above it a 3-sided bay window in which is a C17 5-light stone mullioned window in a moulded frame and having return lights. The gable has moulded barge-boards. Over the central passageway in the 1st floor is a modern 2-light casement window. At the back in the North wall of the South wing is a C17 3-light oriel, with return lights on a scrolled bracket. In the North boundary wall of No 83 and visible from the south, is a blocked 2-light C17 window. Interior. RCHM p 174 b. Includes plaster ceilings which appear possibly to be early C17 but there are on them shields of arms of Robert King, Bishop of Oxford 1546, died 1557; some C17 panelling. In the South side of the passageway is some C15 studding. History. As Margaret (or Mariole) Hall it belonged to Littlemore Priory; known later as Littlemore Hall but what is now visible has no academic connection. (Slater's Medieval Map of Oxford No 4). The whole had a major restoration in 1965. The shop of No 83 features as the Sheep's shop in 'Through the Looking Glass'.

Nos 82 to 92 (consec) form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5140405834

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245768
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 174

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06517/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].