BODLEIAN LIBRARY AND SCHOOLS QUADRANGLE INCLUDING THE DIVINITY SCHOOL AND THE CONVOCATION HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1047185
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
BODLEIAN LIBRARY AND SCHOOLS QUADRANGLE INCLUDING THE DIVINITY SCHOOL AND THE CONVOCATION HOUSE, RADCLIFFE SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BODLEIAN LIBRARY AND SCHOOLS QUADRANGLE INCLUDING THE DIVINITY SCHOOL AND THE CONVOCATION HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047185 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 05:43:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
BODLEIAN LIBRARY AND SCHOOLS QUADRANGLE INCLUDING THE DIVINITY SCHOOL AND THE CONVOCATION HOUSE, RADCLIFFE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 51550 06415

Details

RADCLIFFE SQUARE 1. 1485 The Schools Bodleian Library and Schools Quadrangle including the Divinity School and Convocation House SP 5106 SE 9/147 12.1.54. I GV 2. RCHM 1. (1) Divinity School built 1424-1490. The master-masons were Richard Winchcombe in 1429 and Thomas Elkyn in 1439. The fan-vaulting was constructed in 1480-3, William Orchard being the master-mason, William Byrd was paid for the insertion of the North doorway in 1669. The upper storey was added by 1489 as Duke Humphrey's Library; It was restored and altered 1598-1602. The whole building was partially restored, again using Headington stone, in 1660 and also repaired in 1701-2. (For the sculptures of the vault, see Arch. Jnl LXXX (1914), 227. (2) The Schools Quadrangle. The West range, built 1610-12, contains the Arts End of the library on the upper storey and the Proscholium on the ground floor. The other three ranges were built 1613-24, John Akroyd and John and Michael Bently, being master-masons. Built originally in Headington freestone. Extensive restorations made in 1878-85 in Clipsham stone to the upper storey, pinnacles and the whole tower of the Five Orders. Further refacing of the interior, of the quadrangle on the South made in 1949. (3) The West cross-wing was built 1634-6 and its West window rebuilt in 1877. The upper storey forms the Selden End of the library and the lower storey contains the Convocation House and the Chancellor's Court.

All the buildings in Radcliffe Square form a group of the highest importance being the centre of the University of Oxford.

Listing NGR: SP5154506409

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245750
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London' in Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London, , Vol. 80, (1914), 227

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13772/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].