106 AND 107, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1047253
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
106 AND 107, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047253.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2021 at 23:52:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
106 AND 107, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51568 06218

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 1485 (South Side) Nos 106 & 107 SP 5106 SE 9/383 12.1.54. II* GV 2. House s and modern shops. 1 building. RCHM 69. Of great architectural and historic interest for it contains probably the finest domestic vaulted cellar in Oxford, a good Cl5 roof and a good, though mutilated C14 window. Historically it is one of the very few examples of a medieval academic hall still surviving; known as Tackley's Inn and built in 1320, it was the 1st property that Adam de Brome acquired for the foundation of Oriel College in about 1324. The modern rebuilt Cl9 fronts consists of:- 3-storeyed stuccoed timber-framing. No 106 The 1st and 2nd floors have two sets of 3 sash windows in plain frames with glazing bars. In a hipped Welsh slate roof is a gabled dormer with a 2-light casement window. Extending southwards on the East side at the back is an early C18 3-storeyed timber-framed wing. No 107 has in the 1st floor 2 bay windows with casements. The 2nd floor has 2 sash windows in moulded frames and there is a Welsh slate roof. Interior RCHM page l64b. The C14 parts are the stone South wall of the hall of the inn and the quadripartite vaulted stone cellar of 5 bays. In the upper part of the wall are the remains of the C15 trussed and braced collar-beam roof of 2 bays. In the South wall of the hall is an original window with two pointed lights. History. For leases and tenants see Oxford History Society 85 (1926). 163-9. For description of plans and sections, see The Oriel Record, June 1941 Antiq .Jnl. 27 (1947). 127 and Figures 2, 3 and 4 Oxoniensia VII (1942), 80-92.

All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5156806218

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245528
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 164
'Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London' in Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London, , Vol. 27, (1947), 127
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, , Vol. 85, (1926), 163-169
'The Oriel Record' in June, (1941)
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 7, (1942), 80-92

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16132/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].