CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1047462
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047462 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 07:57:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Horspath
National Grid Reference:
SP 57141 04879

Details

HORSPATH CHURCH ROAD SP50SE (West side) 4/153 Church of St. Giles 18/07/63

GV II*

Church. Late C12, C13, C15 and C19, restored 1852 by H.J. Underwood. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; tower and chancel; ashlar; imitation stone slate and sheet metal roofs. 4-bay nave with chancel, south transept, south aisle and porch, west tower and vestry and organ chamber opposite transept. Chancel was rebuilt in 1840 with 2 square-headed windows each side (some said to be re-used) and a 3-light east window with Perpendicular-style tracery. C13 south transept has a 2-light south window with plate tracery and a trefoil headed light to east. Parapetted nave has projecting buttresses and a central porch sheltering a door of c.1200. The porch has oak dog gates. C19 window to left. C15 crenellated tower has a 4-centre arched west doorway with recessed spandrels and label with lozenge stops. Above is a 3-light traceried window and to south a stair turret. Small arched belfry openings in rectangular surrounds. North wall of nave and vestry of 1852 in Geometrical Decorated style. Interior: Transitional nave arcade with masonry piers and minimal moulded imposts; the western arch rebuilt as a half arch. The Perpendicular tower arch is finely moulded and has large amusing figures terminating the hood mould. All roofs C19. Furnishings C19 except for fine Jacobean hexagonal pulpit with inlaid pictorial panels with perspective arches. Medieval stained glass includes 2 figures of c.1280, and many C15 and C16 figures and fragments. Painted window north of nave of 1740 said to be by Price of York. Monuments include a brass, an oval monument of c.1690 with a frame of fruit and flowers, and a late baroque monument to James Salisbury (died 1770) with scrolls and cherubs. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.655-6).

Listing NGR: SP5714104879

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
246920
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 655-6
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/09374/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pauline Roenisch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].