Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1047562

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047562 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 23:58:42.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Woodeaton

National Grid Reference: SP 53489 11898


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WOODEATON SP51SW 1/231 Church of the Holy Rood l8/07/63


Church. C13; tower C14. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; stone-slate and lead roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. C13 chancel has, to north, 2 lancets and blocked round-headed doorway; to south, one small lancet remains beside a C13 priests door with 2 orders of roll moulding, and to right is a C15 window of 2 cinquefoil lights under a label. Nave has, to south, 2 trefoil-headed lancets and a 2-light window converted, in the C15, to a tall mullioned and transomed window. Small C17 porch with an old studded door shelters a Decorated doorway with panelled doors. To north is another lancet, a 2-light window with Y-tracery and a blocked door. The west wall has a central buttress between a trefoil lancet and a blocked lancet. The gable is built up to form the west wall of the C14 internal tower which has arched traceried mullioned and transomed belfry openings below a crenellated and pinnacled parapet. Interior: Chancel has a trefoil-headed piscina, a projecting sedilium with one stone armrest, and a stone bench, all to south; chancel arch is C14; western bay of wide nave is taken up with tower set on 2 tall octagonal piers. Nave roof has remains of C13 coupled-rafter roof, at east end, including a tie beam with a rare painted doom inscription; rest of nave roof is probably C14 with arched windbraces to the lower purlins. Wall paintings include a large early C14 St. Christopher, with Norman-French inscription, over the blocked north door, and contemporary masonry decoration in red over much of the nave walls. Fittings include C15 benches with 4 fleur-de-lys poppy heads in the nave and 4 more-elaborate bench ends in the chancel; early C16 screen with painted linenfold panelling and tracery; C18 panelled manorial pew and reading desk: late C18/early C19 western gallery. Monuments include a marble wall memorial to Anne Nourse, died 1669 with Corinthian pilasters and a swan-necked pediment; C17 ledgers; 5 late C18/early C19 hatchments of members of the Weyland family. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, pp.316-7; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.853).

Listing NGR: SP5348611898


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 246752

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 853
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 316-7

End of official listing