THE OLD BREWHOUSE WITH ENTRANCE SCREEN WOODPERRY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1047582
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Date of most recent amendment:
05-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
THE OLD BREWHOUSE WITH ENTRANCE SCREEN
Statutory Address:
WOODPERRY HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD BREWHOUSE WITH ENTRANCE SCREEN
WOODPERRY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047582 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 15:48:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD BREWHOUSE WITH ENTRANCE SCREEN
Statutory Address:
WOODPERRY HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Stanton St. John
National Grid Reference:
SP 57510 10430

Details

STANTON ST. JOHN WOODPERRY SP51SE 2/175 Woodperry House and The Old 18/07/63 Brewhouse with entrance screen (formerly listed as Woodperry House with garden and entrance gates and screens) GV I

Country house. 1728-31, for John Morse by William King, mason, possibly to designs by William Townesend of Oxford; extended 1880 by F. Cobb of Oxford. Limestone ashlar; Welsh-slate and old plain-tile roofs, Double-depth plan with linked pavilions. 2 storeys plus attics and semi-basement. 5-window front, with rusticated clasping pilasters, storey-bands and plain segmental-headed architraves, breaks forward in the centre bays below a heavy triangular pediment, containing a blind window, which is flanked by a parapet with recessed panels. The central doorway, with 8-panel double-leaf doors, has a stone pedimented canopy on Tuscan columns, added later, and a broad flight of steps. Slate hipped roof has pedimented roof dormers and stone stacks flanking a central lead flat. Pedimented flanking 3-bay wings of 1880 in similar style, are recessed behind the 5-arched single-storey quadrants which have linked imposts and projecting keyblocks below a band and plain parapet. Right quadrant remains an open loggia and has similar blind arcading on its rear wall, and a cantilevered stone stair with early C18 wrought-iron balustrade. 5-window pavilions, of one storey plus attics, facing each other across the entrance court, have plain openings with corresponding recessed panels in the parapets; tiled hipped roofs each have 3 pedimented roof dormers and the stables (to right) have a wooden cupola with a clock. The early C18 wrought-iron entrance screen, echoing the form of the quadrants and completing the enclosure of the court, has central segmental-headed gates with scroll and repousse work, of excellent quality in the flanking pilasters and in the elaborate overthrow which includes Morse's monogram. The railings, returning to the pavilions, sit on a low ashlar wall and are punctuated by further scrollwork pilasters. The rear of the main block is identical to the front, except for the plain Tuscan doorcase; the flanking C19 wings are only slightly recessed and break forward markedly in the pedimented outer bays. Interior: The hall to left, which is separated from the entrance hall by a triple-arched screen, is elaborately decorated with fluted Ionic pilasters on fielded panelling supporting a deep entablature with pulvinated oak-leaf frieze and modillion cornice; the contemporary marble fireplace has a carved overmantel (probably mid C18) with consoles supporting a framed oil painting of Westminster Abbey dated 1748; 2 elaborate doorcases have eared architraves and segmental pediments. The ceiling of the entrance hall and the soffit of the stair rising in it are even more richly carved with elaborate geometrical panelling. The stair has a ramped and wreathed handrail, 3 carved and fluted balusters per tread, and the landings are inlaid with stars; the panelled walls have carved guilloche ornament. Of the former drawing room, now kitchen, the enriched egg-and-dart window architraves and carved doorcase survive; the panelling is now at Ditchley Park. Other rooms have dentil cornices and original marble fireplaces, and the fielded panelling extends even to the attics. The joiner was Thomas Fawsett. Stable wing contains contemporary stair, with turned balusters, and fielded panelling. Interior of left pavilion (The Old Brewhouse), now a separate dwelling, was not inspected. (J. Cornforth, Country Life, Vol,CXXIX, pp.18-21 and 66-9; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.854-5).

Listing NGR: SP5751010430

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
246695
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 854-5
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 129, (), 18-21,66-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13270/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].