Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047587.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:16:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Waterperry with Thomley
National Grid Reference:
SP 62956 06322


WATERPERRY SP60NW 6/190 Church of St. Mary 18/07/63


Church. Saxon, early C13 and early C14, restored 1840. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and some weatherboarding; artificial stone-slate and lead roofs. Nave, chancel, south aisle and west tower. C13 chancel has 3 original lancets in each of the side walls, plus a fourth to south dated from the C19 rebuilding of the east wall with its 3-light window of Reticulated tracery; blocked priests door to north. The steep-pitched roof has the base of a sanctus bellcote on the west gable parapet. The south aisle has an early C14 east window of 3 lights with a large sexfoil in the tracery, and, to south, a low C15 window of 2 ogee lights and a 3-light C15/early C16 window of 3 cinqefoil lights; C14 south doorway has a keeled roll dying into wave-moulded jambs. The north wall of the nave has 2 more identical windows with sexfoils in the tracery and a blocked C14 doorway. At the east end of the wall is a rectangular stair projection. The west wall has a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery between deep stepped and gabled buttresses; to right is a C14 doorway and the central gable is taken up to form the base of the weatherboarded tower which has a shallow pyramid roof. Interior: Chancel has a plastered 7-canted roof, with 3 heavy tie beams, and a late-medieval aumbry in the north wall. C14 chancel arch springing from corbel heads is set beneath a high Saxon arch with plain imposts. Transitional 3-bay arcade has fluted and scalloped capital to east and masonry pier to west. King-post roof to nave, probably C16. West tower is supported on internal posts with large curved braces. Fittings include C18 panelled pine box pews, reading desk dated 1632, elaborately-canopied pulpit inscribed "GM/1677", C17 barley-twist communion rails, late C18 Gothic screen forming entrance lobby (removed from former chapel in Waterperry House (q.v.)), and a painted Royal Arms dated 1757. Stained glass in windows include C13, C14, C15 and C16 figures, shields and quarries, plus some C19 and C20 glass, Monuments include C14 full-length effigy under elaborate double-cusped and crocketted canopy; C17 alabaster wall monuments to Sir Francis Curson, with kneeling figures, and to Magdalen Curson with framed inscription; large marble group by Chantry dated 1821; a series of brasses including one palimpsest, plus many C17, C18 and C19 ledgers to Cursons and others. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, pp,306-8; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp,826-8).

Listing NGR: SP6295306319


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 826-8
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 306-8


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13875/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David S. Biggin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].