This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OCTAGONAL TEMPLE APPROXIMATELY 250 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF SHOTOVER PARK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OCTAGONAL TEMPLE APPROXIMATELY 250 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF SHOTOVER PARK

List entry Number: 1047632

Location

OCTAGONAL TEMPLE APPROXIMATELY 250 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF SHOTOVER PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Forest Hill with Shotover

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 246611

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FOREST HILL WITH SHOTOVER SHOTOVER SP50NE 5/91 Octagonal Temple approx. 250m. 18/07/63 to SW of Shotover Park

GV II*

Garden temple. c.1835. By William Kent for General James Tyrrell. Limestone ashlar. Octagonal plan. 4 sides break forward and contain archways with projecting keyblocks and imposts set in chamfered rustication; remaining sides have round-headed niches in smooth ashlar. Above a heavy cornice is the stepped stone base to a former lead-clad dome, parts of the wooden structure of which survive. The temple stands on a high mound and forms a focal point in the important early C18 formal layout of the garden. (C. Hussey, Country Life, Vol.LIX, pp.240-6; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.276; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.765).

Listing NGR: SP5822706531

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 276
'Country Life' in Country Life, ()
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

National Grid Reference: SP 58227 06531

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047632 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 11:47:44.

End of official listing