CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1047633
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047633.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:08:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Sandford-on-Thames
National Grid Reference:
SP 53372 01750

Details

SP 5301 SANDFORD-ON-THAMES CHURCH ROAD (North side) 10/113 Church of St. Andrew. 18/07/63 - II*

Church. Late C11 and C13, restored and enlarged in C19. Restoration by J. Derick and others. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain-tile roof. 2- bay nave with north aisle, chancel, west tower and south porch, plus vestry to north of chancel. Chancel has round-headed lancet to north, pointed-trefoil lancets to east and at east end of south wall, and at west end of south wall a Romanesque window with exterior shafts with cushion capitals. The eastern part of the chancel may be a C13 extension. The south wall of the nave is partly Cll but has C19 windows: 2-light with plate tracery to east of porch, and trefoil- headed lancet to west. South doorway has early Romanesque round arch with plain tympanum, and an old double-boarded ribbed door. The ashlar porch is dated 1652 in an inscription tablet in the gable. It has an cuter doorway with ovolo- moulded surround and a 4-centre arched head with shields in the spandrels. On the north, the large vestry of 1893 is by H.W.G. Drinkwater, and the north aisle of 1865 is by J. Brooks who also rebuilt the chancel arch and the nave roof. Windows are small lancets except west window, a C15 square-headed window of 2 traceried lights which early C19 views show east of the south porch. Incorporated in the north wall is the blocked C11 former north door, similar to the south door but extremely narrow. The 2-stage tower, of c.1840; by Derick, constructed of squared rubble and ashlar, is in late Romanesque style, and has flat buttresses, round-headed lights at the lower stage, and belfry openings of 2 lights under a single outer arch. Shafts to jambs and mullions have capitals with volutes. A carved corbel-table supports a plain parapet. Interior: Mid C19 stained glass in the chancel: the north window of 1856 is probably by Willement. On the south wall of the chancel is an early C15 alabaster relief of the Assumption, about 1.5 by 0.6 metres, with traces of paint and gilding. Under the tower, which forms an extension of the nave, is grouped a collection of white marble diamond-shaped ledgers, dated from 1683 to 1841, and 5 late C18 and early C19 wall monuments of plain Classical form. A wall monument to John Clarke (died 1764) and family has a broken triangular pediment and flanking fluted pilasters set against palm leaves. On the south wall is an alabaster monument of c.1661 to Sir William Powell: a latin inscription on a black tablet has a Baroque surround including Ionic collonettes supporting a swan-necked pediment holding armorials and flanked by small obelisks. Graded II* on account of C15 alabaster carving. (V.C.H. Oxfordshire V, pp.273-4; Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, pp.749-50; National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SP5337201750

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
246513
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 749-50
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 273-4

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/05896/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr David J Mazey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].