CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1047667
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST NICHOLAS, COWLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047667 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 15:35:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST NICHOLAS, COWLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Littlemore
National Grid Reference:
SP 53755 02770

Details

SP 5302 LITTLEMORE COWLEY ROAD (East side) 15/99 Church of SS. Mary and 18/07/63 Nicholas. GV II*

Church. 1836, tower and chancel 1848. By H.J. Underwood for Rev. (later Cardinal) J.H. Newman, extended by Joseph Clarke. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; steep-pitched tiled roof. 4-bay aisleless nave, and chancel with tower and vestry to north. Early English style. Nave has lancets flanked by buttresses and, to west, a double lancet with plate-tracery. The west door has detached shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Triple lancet east window with dogtooth ornament and shafts. The 3-stage tower has 2-light shafted openings with plate tracery (in the top stage ) flanked by quatrefoil openings. Interior: Chancel roof of 4-bays has 5-sided coupled rafters and arched braces rising from wooden angel corbels with elaborate bosses. Nave roof (not original) has 7-boarded trefoil trusses. The stone altar stands against richly-decorated and gilded arcading with a triple sedilia to south. The lancet to north has an elaborate double-shafted rear arch with trefoil head and dogtooth ornament. The richly-carved oak screen of 1913 in C15 style is by F.H. Crossley and has rood figures from Oberammergau. Elaborate 4-tiered oak font cover of 1924 stands on a C13 font with pointed trefoil arcading divided by fleur-de-lys brought from Church of St. Mary, Oxford. Mid C19 glass in 8 lancets is by T. Willement, and 2 others (the eastermost in the nave) have figures, of c.1887 by Morris and Co. East window of c.1900 by Louis Davis, and the central pair in the nave north wall also c.1900 by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster. Wall monument of c.1836 to Newmans' mother, with shallow relief, by R. Westmacott Jnr.Graded II* for historical asaciation with JH Newman. (V.C.H. Oxfordshire V, pp.213; Buildings of England, Oxfordshire pp. 688-9)

Listing NGR: SP5375502770

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
246496
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 688-9
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 213

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16132/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].