CHIPPINGHURST MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1047707

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Statutory Address: CHIPPINGHURST MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHIPPINGHURST MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047707 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 23:45:03.

Location

Statutory Address: CHIPPINGHURST MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Cuddesdon and Denton

National Grid Reference: SP 60126 01203

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 60 SW CUDDESDON AND DENTON CHIPPINGHURST 3/1 Chippinghurst Manor House 18/07/63 and attached garden walls - II

Manor house. Late C16, reconstructed and extended 1937 by Fielding Dodd for James McDougall. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins; plain-tile roof with brick stacks. U-plan. 2 storeys. Main entrance in south wing is flanked by projecting east and west wings forming north-facing court. C16 pyramid-roofed 3-storey turret in south-east angle has a 2-course stone weathering at storey height and, in the top stage, a leaded oak-frame window with 3 internal diamond mullions. Except for the adjacent chimney-stack with diagonal shafts and a blocked single-light window, both in the east wing, the remainder of the work facing the court is C20. The east front, the details of which are copied throughout, has a moulded plinth stone eaves-cove and ashlar storey-band, and forms a range of four 4-light windows with, at first floor, a single light window between the pair to left of centre. Ground-floor windows have labels and the sills of the 2 windows to left of centre have been lowered. The 4-centre arched doorway to right is concealed by a stone and tiled porch with a similar doorway under a label. The porch gable has a parapet with console kneelers and an obscured datestone. The gable walls of the range have projecting stacks: to left with old brick diagonal shafts and an ornamental lead sun dial; to right beside a C16 two-light stone-mullioned window. Interior: Drawing room in east wing has restored Tudor-arched stone fireplaces with moulded surrounds. Generally extensively re-modelled. Extending from the east front are stone walls: to right incorporating a C16/17 four centre arched doorway; to left with doorway to walled garden on the south side of the house. Walled garden has C18 brick walls in Flemish bond with flat stone copings. Brick piers to south have moulded stone cornices and C20 wrought iron gates. JamesMcDougall was the inventor of self-raising flour. (V.C.H. : Oxfordshire, Vol V).

Listing NGR: SP6012601203

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 246389

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957)

End of official listing