CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1047918

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LYDALLS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047918 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 23:29:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LYDALLS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Didcot

National Grid Reference: SU 51966 90506

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DIDCOT LYDALLS ROAD SU5190 (North side) 11/5 14/06/63 Church of All Saints

GV II*

Church. C12, chancel rebuilt and south aisle added c.1340, C15 alterations, C19 north aisle, vestry, south porch and steeple. Limestone uncoursed rubble with stone dressings; lead roof to nave and south aisle; slate roof to north aisle; old plain-tile roof to chancel; shingle hanging and roof to tower. Aisled 3-by nave, chancel and west tower. C19 open timber-framed porch on stone base, with gabled old plain-tile roof to south aisle centre. Double plank door to 2-centre arched doorway. 3-light window of reticulated tracery with segmental head to right. Paired lancet to left with couchettes to segmental head. 3-light window of reticulated tracery with segmental head to right return of south aisle. Trefoil-topped doorway with 2-centre arched hood with foliate ends to centre of chancel. 2-light plate tracery window to left. 2-light windows of reticulated tracery to right and rear of chancel, 3-light window of reticulated tracery to east end. 3-light window of rectilinear tracery to west end. C19 reticulated tracery windows to north aisle. Broach spire to tower to left which rises from south aisle roof. Reset headstones to wails. Interior: C19 and C20 roofs. C19 fittings to chancel including stone reredos, altar rail, and choir stalls. 2-centred chancel arch with hood-mould. C15 south arcade of 2-centred arches on cluster and octagonal columns. C19 north arcade of 2-centred arches on cluster columns. Tudor-arched doorway to left of chancel arch, to stairs to rood loft. Paired trefoiled lancet opening above head of stairs. Romanesque round stone font on octagonal stepped base. Purbeck marble effigy of mitred abbot with remains of trefoil canopy to head and animal to feet, of c.1290 to south aisle. (V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.3, 1923, p.473-475; Buildings of England: Berkshire, 1975, p.127-8).

Listing NGR: SU5196690506

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 248617

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 473-475
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 127-8

End of official listing