CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1048056
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, BALDON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048056 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2019 at 10:19:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, BALDON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Marsh Baldon
National Grid Reference:
SU 56156 99099

Details

SU5699 HARSH SALOON BALDON LANE (South side) 10/6 Church of St. Peter 18/07/63

GV II*

Church. C14 and C15, north aisle late C18 rebuilt 1890 by Micklethwaite and Somers Clarke who restored the church. Rendered limestone rubble and limestone ashlar; plain-tile roof. Nave, chancel, north aisle and vestry, west tower and south porch. Chancel has a Tudor-arched 3-light east window with ogee tracery, and to south 2 more C15 windows of different design, one 4 centred, the other pointed segmental. The nave has a square-headed C14 window and a single-light ogee-headed window. The timber-framed south porch may be C14 but was repaired in 1589. It shelters a shouldered doorway, with a Romanesque mass dial set in the tympanum, containing an old studded plank door. The C14 tower has a 2-light west window with reticulated tracery, ogee-headed belfry openings, and becomes octagonal near the top with large corbels. The north aisle has ogee-headed windows of 2 and 3-lights. Interior: chancel has an elaborate cusped C15 piscina and sedilia formed from extensions of the window recesses. To north a C15 window opens into the north aisle. Nave has a simple 4-bay north arcade of 1890. Earlier roofs have C19 boarding; north aisle roof has braced collar trusses. Plastered tympanum above chancel step has a hatchment on its east face. Fittings include a fine Jacobean oak pulpit with double-arched carved panels and a canopy with pendants. East and south-east windows of chancel contain much C14 and C15 stained glassy 2-light window in nave of 1902 by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Large painting, in a Gothick niche at east end of north aisle, by Pompeo Battoni after Guido Reni's "The Annunciation", was formerly in the Chapel of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, and was presented in 1794 by Sir Christopher Willoughby. Monuments include a brass inscription and shield to John Danvers (died 1616), and a large white marble Baroque wall monument to Anna Pollard (died 1701) with barley-twist columns, Corinthian capitals, and a swan-neck pediment supporting cherubs and a cartouche of arms. 2 late C18 Gothick wall tablets erected by Sir Christopher Willoughby. The sanctuary floor contains various C17 and C18 ledgers. (V.C.H,1 Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.45. Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp,698-9).

Listing NGR: SU5615699099

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
248243
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 698-9
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 45

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/05982/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs A H Jacobs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].