CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1048189
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048189.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:06:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Ardington
National Grid Reference:
SU 43156 88319

Details

ARDINGTON CHURCH STREET SU4388 (South side) 17/7 Church of The Holy Trinity 24/11/66

GV II*

Church. C12 nave; C13 chancel, side chapels, and north tower; C14 north porch; C19 restoration of 2 stages: tower refaced and spire added by Joseph Clarke c.1856; nave lengthened, south aisle and north chapel rebuilt, and chancel decorated by Somers Clarke c.1887. Roughcast to nave and chancel, probably on coursed squared stone; coursed squared stone to north chapel and tower; stone slate roof. 4-bay nave with south aisle chancel with side chapels, and north tower plan. North side: gabled porch to left of nave with plank double outer doors to 2-centre archway. Romanesque doorway with studded plank door to church. Romanesque lancet to centre of nave. Y-tracery window to right of nave. C19 lancets and 2-centre arched doorway with plank door to north chapel. 2-light stone mullion window with hood mould to chancel. West window; 4-light intersecting tracery. East window: 3-light rectilinear tracery. South side: C19 paired lancets, except C19 four-light stone mullion and transom window to right of aisle and possibly reset Y-tracery window to right of centre of aisle. Tower: 2-light reticulated tracery window to north face of tower; broach spire. Interior: C19 arch-braced collar truss roof to chancel with 2 rows of windbraces. C19 wood reredos with triptych. Walls and roof of chancel have C19 stencil decoration. C19 choir stalls and organ case. 2-centred chancel arch of 3 orders on columns. C19 screen to chancel with wrought-iron gates. Nave: 8-bay arch-braced collar-truss roof. C17 hexagonal wood pulpit to left of chancel arch. South aisle arcade of four 2-centre arches. Basket-arch to south aisle chapel on corbels, that to right having green-man carving. Monument in nave of kneelinq female figure in marble by E.H. Baily. (Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, pp66-7; VCH: Berkshire: Vol 4, 1924, pp270-1)

Listing NGR: SU4315688319

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
250047
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 270-1
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 66-7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06340/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Alan Rosevear. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].