Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048354.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 21:51:27.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 45204 96814


MARCHAM CHURCH STREET SU4596 (East side) 18/141 Church of All Saints 09/02/66


Church. Early C13 and C15: rebuilt, except tower, by William Fisher of Oxford in 1837. Coursed dressed limestone with ashlar dressings, except tower which is of uncoursed limestone rubble. Gabled stone slate chancel roof, and Welsh slate nave roof. Chancel with north chapel, wide nave and west tower. 1:5:1 bays. Early English and Perpendicular styles: remodelled in Perpendicular Revival style. Double-gabled east wall of chancel has 3-light Curvilinear-style window to left of early C13 stepped three-light lancet window. Each side wall of chancel has chamfered lancet and pointed doorway. Crenellated nave has label moulds over 2-light and central 3-light Perpendicular-style transomed windows to north: similar 3-light windows flank gabled south porch: very fine late C14/early C15 south doorway is cinquefoil-headed with independent leaf decoration in casement-moulded architrave. Early C13 three-stage west tower has original corner buttresses, one-light bell openings, slit lights and west lancet: unusual early C13 ashlar stair turret in north-east corner has slit lights and quatrefoil panel in gable top. Interior: jamb shafts with bell capitals to east window of north chapel. Early C13 archway between chancel and north chapel has chamfered arch set on half-piers with ball flower capitals. Bench in north chapel has C16 linenfold-carved bench end: chancel has C19 wall tablets, and late C18 obelisk wall tablet to John Barnes, d.1782. Twin chancel and north chapel arches to nave: communion rail, pews and altar at east end. Early C19 pulpit, and reading desk of c.1907. Pews have C16 bench ends with linenfold carving. Tall early C19 pedimented wall tablet to Aldworth family, mid C19 stele tablets (one in porch), and Cothick wall tablet to Thomas Prince, d.1823: wall tablet at west end to Thomas Hayward, d.1692. Wall brass east of door to Edmund Fettiplace, d.1540, and wife: depicts them both kneeling at prayer with their children. Tub-shaped stepped font is probably C13. Perpendicular-style 8-bay roof supported on head corbels. Early C15 triple hollow-chamfered archway to west tower room, which has quadripartite vault with hollow-chamfered ribs on head corbels. J.C. Buckler drew interior details and the church exterior (mainly C15) in 1819. (Bodleian Library, MS Top. Berks. C.50, Nos.106-8; Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.176-177; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, pp.358-9; Victoria and Albert Museum, South Kensington, London has drawings in box A-170, D.1784-7; H.M. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, 1978, p.308).

Listing NGR: SU4520496814


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 308
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 358-9
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 176-177


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/06199/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Brighton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].