LITTLE PELHAM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1048385

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1966

Statutory Address: LITTLE PELHAM, RECTORY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLE PELHAM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048385 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 00:03:11.

Location

Statutory Address: LITTLE PELHAM, RECTORY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse (District Authority)

Parish: Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor

National Grid Reference: SU 40791 97633

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGSTON BAGPUIZE WITH SOUTHMOOR RECTORY LANE SU4097 (West side) 14/111 Little Pelham 09/02/66

- II

Rectory, now house. Designed c.1723 by Dr. George Clarke of Oxford for Richard Blechinden: remodelled c.1820-30, Coursed limestone rubble; hipped Welsh slate roof; brick end stacks and rear lateral stack. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys: symmetrical 5-window range. Central bay is framed by rusticated Doric pilasters and has unusual ashlar open-pedimented porch: rusticated pilasters have alternating plain and frosted stonework to raised pilaster quoins and raised voussoirs; prominent frosted keystone to round-arched doorway: Double-leaf C19 half-glazed doors with Gothick fanlight, ground floor flat stone arches and C19 first-floor stone lintels over early C19 sashes. Rear: early C18 2-bay range of one storey and attic; coursed linestone rubble with gabled old tile roof and brick end stack: rear wall has 2 early C18 sashes with thick glazing bars, and leaded dormer casements: adjoins rear right outshut. Interior: early C18 fireplace in room to left, and early C18 panelled doors. Early C19 fireplaces and open-well staircase with stick balusters. This house is one of only 2 buildings which Dr. Clarke designed outside 0xford. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.161; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.349; H.M.Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, 1978, p.217).

Listing NGR: SU4079197633

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 249609

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 217
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 349
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 161

End of official listing