CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1048397
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, FARINGDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048397 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 05:48:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, FARINGDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Besselsleigh
National Grid Reference:
SP 45631 01073

Details

BESSELSLEIGH FARINGDON ROAD SP4501 (North side) 10/40 Church of St. Lawrence 19/02/66

GV II

Church. Early C12, with early C14 and C15 alterations. c.1632 for William Lenthall, Speaker of House of Commons, and 1788 for William John Lenthall. Uncoursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roof. Nave and chancel. Late C13 three-light trefoil-headed window. 4-bay south wall: three C15 cinquefoil-headed 2-light windows and 3 restored offset buttresses; narrow C13 pointed chamfered priest's door in second bay from right; gabled early C17 porch has wide cusp-chamfered arch, and C19 timber-framed side walls on brick and limestone plinths; early C12 plain round-headed doorway frames ancient plank door which has two C12 strap hinges and crescent at top. North wall has 3 restored offset buttresses: similar C15 two-light window and an early C14 two-light Decorated window flank rood-stairs projection with slit-light. West gable has late C13 three-light trefoil-headed window, and twin bellcote of 1632 (V.C.H.). Interior: cinquefoiled rere-arch to east window. Late C19 reredos. Late C13 trefoil-headed piscina: early C12 pillar piscina has decorated stem and scalloped capital: early C17 parish chest has panelled door, hinged lid and is set on wooden wheels. Chancel floor has marble floor tablet to John Lenthall (d.1681), and a set of early C17 floor tiles with quatrefoils. C15 brattished cornice to plastered chancel roof. Tympanum of 1632, with carved oak pendants, has painting of angels holding Lenthall arms over inscription which reads: "THIS CHURCH WAS RESTORED IN THE YEARE 1632/AND ALSO REPAIRED BY THE HONOURABLE WILLIAM LENTHALL ESQR:/MASTER OF THE ROLLS IN THE YEARE 1657". Nave has unusual mid C17 font, with small garlanded bowl "set on round stem with bands of rocky rustication" (Pevsner). Mid/late C19 roof has C17 moulded cornice with angels holding shields of arms at intervals. Fittings: late C18 communion rail, pulpit with tester, box pews, and steps to gallery with hat-pegs and splat balusters at west end. Memorials: C18 and C19 wall tablets. Chancel has small white marble inscription set in black marble draped surround to Winnifred Thompson, d.1708/9, and memorial to Susanna Brome, d.1717: heraldic achievement over draped and garlanded surround to inscription with palm sprays at base. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.86; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, pp.396-7; National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SP4563101073

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249538
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 396-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 86

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].