Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048421.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 20:39:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 44394 01545


APPLETON WITH EATON CHURCH ROAD SP4401 (East side) Appleton 9/4 Church of St. Lawrence 09/02/66


Church. Late C12: late C13 tower remodelled in C15: remodelled and north aisle built in early C17: later C17, early C18 alterations and restored 1883. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar dressings: stone slate hanging to east gable wall of nave. Gabled M-shaped roofs, of stone slates over chancel, and Welsh slate and C20 tiles over nave. Chancel, aisled nave and west tower. Double-gabled east wall has 3-light window of 1883 to left of early C17 leaded and partially blocked chamfered stone-mullioned window. Similar early C17 window to north wall: south wall has late C13 pointed and chamfered arched priest's doorway adjoining late C15/early C16 two-light stone-mullioned window with casement-moulded architrave. Nave: early C17 three-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows flank plain early C17 north porch with fine studded double-leaf doors. Early C17 stone-coped south porch has crocketed niche above similar doors: medieval stoup adjoins late C12 round-headed chamfered doorway: porch flanked by C15 two-light cinquefoil-headed window, and late C13 two-light window with late C19 mullion and head. 3-stage west tower: late C13 two-light Y-tracery window above C15 doorway with C17 studded doors: C15 one- and 2-light cinquefoil-headed windows and crenellated parapet: slit lights to south stair-turret. Late C19 louvred south bell turret. Interior: chancel has quarry-tile floor with late C18 memorial tablets, memorial tablet to Robert Aldworth, c.1698, and a "memento mori" brass to John Goudrington, d.1518, which depicts a shrouded copse. Fine wall monument to Sir John Fettiplace, d.1593: recumbent effigy with strapwork back-panel, set in architectural frame with Corinthian columns and obelisks with heraldic achievment surmounting entablature. Early C18 communion rail and 4-bay wainscotted arcade enclosing earlier columns (V.C.H.) to north chapel. North chapel has C18 ledger stones, wall tablet to Robert Southeby, d.1717, and fine memorial by Robert Blore to firs. Anne Southeby, d.1808, her daughter and infant son. Early C19 chamber organ. Chancel arch built 1873. Nave: late C19 pulpit and fittings, early C19 wall tablets, and C18 pew next to tub-shaped font set on late C12 base with spiral decoration including beaded bands. Late C13 archway to west tower. Fine 4-bay late C12 Transitional arcade has chamfered pointed arches set on round piers with square abaci: capitals, from east, have trumpet scallops, stiff-leaf, beaded interlacing bands with stiff-leaf volutes, and flat-leaf to west. Painted inscription on east intrados commemorates gift by Sir Richard Fettiplace. 3 panes of C15 armorial stained glass in north aisle window. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.65; V.C.H.: Berkshire, pp.339-40; B.F.L. Clarke and H.M. Colvin, "The Rebuilding and Repair of Berkshire Churches during the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries", Berkshire Archaeological Journal, Vol.53, 11952-5), pp.69-70).

Listing NGR: SP4439401545


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 339-40
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 65
'Berkshire Archaeological Journal' in Berkshire Archaeological Journal, (1967)
'Berkshire Archaeological Journal' in Berkshire Archaeological Journal, (1953), 69-70


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07862/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Maeve Wadge. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].