CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1048593
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048593.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:07:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
East Challow
National Grid Reference:
SU 38078 88253

Details

EAST CHALLOW MAIN STREET SU38NE (East side) 2/24 Church of St. Nicholas 24/11/66

GV II*

Church. Mid/late C13, restored and west front rebuilt 1858; south tower rebuilt 1884. Uncoursed limestone rubble, partly rendered to north and repointed; limestone ashlar quoins and dressings; stone slate roof. Nave and chancel with south aisle. Mid C19 three-light east window with Kentish tracery; north side of chancel has late C13 two-light window with mid C19 cusped heads and C15 two-light square-headed window; south side of chancel has mid C19 two-light window in late C13 style. South vestry, aisle, and late C19 two-storey tower to west with crenellated parapet, have one-light windows with cusped heads and buttresses. Mid C19 clerestorey windows. North side of nave has similar mid C19 one-light window, late C15/early C16 three-light arch-headed window, C13 one-light window, mid C19 two-light window to west and offset buttresses. West gable has mid C19 three-light French Gothic window over pointed moulded doorway to plank door with decorative iron hinges, and C13 stoup to south. Moulded kneelers to gabled roof. Interior: Chancel has aid C19 roof, late C13 pointed moulded blocked doorway to vestry. Late C13 double-chamfered chancel arch on engaged columns with bell capitals; 3-bay oak screen of 1905 with traceried heads. Nave has mid C19 roof and mid C19 pulpit and tester, C13 circular font and late C13 three-bay south arcade with double-chamfered arches and additional mid C19 west bay. South aisle has mid C19 roof and arches to east and west. Stained glass: Late C19 and C20; C15 stained glass in late C15/early C16 window in north wall of nave. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, p,131; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.226).

Listing NGR: SU3807888253

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251118
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 226
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 131

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04411/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony J Felmingham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].