Church of St Denys


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Denys, Church Green


Ordnance survey map of Church of St Denys
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048607.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:06:23.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Denys, Church Green

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Stanford in the Vale
National Grid Reference:
SU 34196 93468


SU3493 9/223

STANFORD-IN-THE-VALE CHURCH GREEN (West side) Church of St. Denys

(Formerly listed as Church of St. Dennis)


GV I Church. Late C12, west tower, north aisle and north porch added in the late C13/early C14, south porch and clerestory added in early C15. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings; lead roof; stone slate roof to north porch.

Nave and chancel, north aisle continued as vestry, north and south porches, west tower. Early C14 four-light east window of Kentish tracery; south wall of chancel has two early C14 two-light windows, one early C14 three-light window of Kentish tracery and a scratch dial; similar two-light window in north wall adjoins early C14 priest's doorway with pointed arch and moulded architrave. The north aisle adjoins the priest's door and extends the full length of the nave; east of the porch is one early C14 two-light window with carved heads to label mould terminals and two early C14 two-light windows and one three-light window much restored in late C19; west of the porch is one early C14 two-light window with restored right jamb and in the west wall a late C13 stepped three-light window.

North doorway of c.1300 has pointed arch with moulded architrave and stiff-leaf capitals; late C18 plank door. Early C14 gabled porch has pointed arch with chamfered architrave to doorway and two-light windows in each side wall. South wall of nave has two early C14 one-light windows and two early C14 two-light windows, the top of the east window having been blocked in the late C19; over the porch is an early C15 four-light flat-headed window. Late C12 architrave and scalloped capitals to engaged columns; C18 plank door.

Early C15 porch with crenellated parapet, two-light windows with label moulds in side walls and a four-centred arch with moulded architrave and carved heads to label mould terminals. Early C15 clerestory with three three-light mullioned and double chamfered windows; early C15 crenellated parapet.

West tower is of three stages: offset corner buttresses rise to the top of the first stage with late C13 one-light windows; late C13 second storey with two-light windows is separated from early C14 third storey by original corbel table; third storey has early C14 two-light windows with crenellated parapet and gargoyles. Gabled roofs, lean-to roof over north aisle; the steeply pitched north porch stands clear of the north aisle. Fleur-de-lys surmounts nave parapet.

Interior: Late C19 stained glass, including some reset C14 glass in chancel; C18/C19 ledger stones on chancel floor, three C17 ledger stones in south-east corner especially to John Heigham, d.1623; in north-east corner is brass to Roger Campdene, rector, d.1398; mid C18 wall tablet. Two early C17 carved doors to aumbry in north wall and early C14 piscina and Decorated style pyx canopy in south wall.

Late C13 doorway to vestry and late C13 squint to north aisle. Late C15 three-bay chancel roof with moulded beams and joists is arch-braced to corbels. Late C13 chancel arch.

Nave has C18 ledger stones in floor and a richly carved 5-sided Jacobean pulpit set on a late C19 base; late C19 benches; late C19 stained glass except east and west windows of south wall and the west window have some C14 reset glass. Nave has C17 seven-bay king post roof, arch braced with traceried spandrels to original C13 corbels. Late C13 triple chamfered arch to west tower; late C13 three-bay arcade, with double-chamfered arches dying into octagonal piers, to the north aisle.

North aisle has richly carved Jacobean font with cover; doorway with splayed and pointed arch to rood loft stairs; late C19 lean-to roof. Three C13 stone coffin lids in porch.

Listing NGR: SU3419093467


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 483-484
Morley, HT , Monumental Brasses of Berkshire, (1924), 197
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 226-227
'Berkshire Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Archaeological Journal' in Berkshire Buckingham and Oxfordshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 2 No 4, (January 1897), 122
Penstone, J J, 'A Visit to the Village Church of Stanford-in-the-Vale, whilst undergoing restoration' in Monumenta Anglicana, (1851), 10-28


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11393/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].