Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CARSWELL MANOR (ST HUGH'S SCHOOL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048665 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jul-2019 at 19:55:46.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 32613 97711


BUCKLAND CARSWELL LANE SU39NW (East side) Carswell 2/65 Carswell Manor (St. Hugh's 21/11/66 School)

- II

House, now school. Early C17, extended and remodelled by William Niven c.1898. Roughcast walls; stone slate roof; stone stacks. Original L-plan extended to left in late C19. Early C17 front of 2 storeys; 2-window range of scattered fenestration, the right gable having no windows. Label moulds over 2-, 3- and 4-light stone- mullioned ovolo-moulded windows and two similar 2-light crass windows. Late C19 two-storey porch has moulded semi-circular arch over 15-panelled door with carved shell decoration to tympanum; Doric columns support projecting second storey which has similar 4-light window and moulded cornice to flat roof. Cross-gabled roof, with 3 gables to front; gabled wall to right of front has offset external stack; internal stack to rear left. Right side wall has late C19 Jacobean style canted bay window and to rear are similar late C19 ovolo-moulded windows with 3 original early C17 windows (one-light, two-light and two-light cross windows) to left of rear door. Late C19 one storey and attic, 6-window range extension to left gable wall built in similar style. To rear left is a similar 3-window range with the date 1898 set aver central bay; attached to rear of is a 5-bay Doric orangery, with central pedimented bay, of c.1898. Interior: Oak panelling of c.1898 to entrance hall which has early C18 stone bolection-moulded fireplace and early C17 open well stairs restored c.1898 and having turned balusters on closed string, square newel posts with ball finials, pendentives and, at the bottom of the stairs, carved and turned finials. Entrance hall gives access to three rooms of c.1898 in Queen Anne style and, to the rear, Early Georgian style; rear room reached by steps with twisted balusters. Between orangery and rear wing is a fine reset doorway of c.1770 with shouldered architrave and central Classical figure. First floor has details of c.1898 throughout: panelled walls to landing: Room to right, now subdivided, in Art Nouveau style with a fine fireplace. Passage behind landing and plain rooms to left give access via steps with twisted balusters swept to rear landing, which also has panelled rooms and an Ionic modillioned cornice. Late C19 roof throughout. Old prints show that before the 1898 restoration the wing attached to the left gable wall of the front was early C18, of one storey and attic and 6 bays; there was also a mid C17 four-bay wing to the rear, its 5 front gables having a central Dutch gable over the porch. (V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.453).

Listing NGR: SU3261397711


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 453


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/11640/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].