This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1048702



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sparsholt

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250775

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SPARSHOLT SPARSHOLT STREET SU38NW (East side) 6/139 Church of the Holy Rood. 24/11/66


Church. Late C12 nave, late C13 tower, early C14 chancel and transept, late C18 porch. Coursed sarsen and chalk rubble to chancel, otherwise all rendered over in roughcast; stone slate and tiled roof except wood shingles to tower. Original cruciform plan with west tower, but north transept demolished c.1785. Norman, Decorated and Perpendicular styles. Late C19 4-light reticulated-style east window, three 2-light early C14 windows to south wall of chancel; 2 identical windows to north wall which has late C15 vestry with 2-light late C15 window with arched heads and one late C19 pointed door.Decorated to parapet. South transept has 4-light reticulated-style early C14 south window; one 2-light early C14 window to each side wall, although west window has two 2-light early C14 windows, and one 3-light late C15 window with arched heads over late C18 porch; late C12 doorway, hood mould over round arch, water- leaf and stiff-leaf capitals to engaged columns; late C12 double doors with original crescent hinges. South wall of nave has two 2-light early C14 windows, and one 3-light late C15 window with arched heads over early C13 blocked door which has round arch and stiff-leaf capitals to engaged columns. Interior: Very fine decorated piscina and sedilia, with ogee cusped heads and ballflower ornament; adjoins reclining early C14 effigy in ogee headed and cusped tomb recess; similar tomb recess in opposite wall; several C15 brasses in chancel floor; late C19 benches and desks except two restored with C15 carved bench- ends and one desk-end; original carved corbels to 4-bay C17 collar truss roof. Late C19 chancel screen in C13 chancel arch. C13 arch to south transept; C13 screen has cinquefoiled arches and shaft rings to shafts much restored below; 3 C14 oak effigies, removed from original position, 2 being under similar tomb recesses to those in the chancel; piscina in wall; chalk aedicule, coloured, to John Pleydell, 1591, and his wife, has oval tablet flanked by Ionic columns and strapwork carving; 2-bay roof, tie beam with crossed braces, probably late C18. Nave has late C19 pulpit, lectern and benches; ledger stones to aisle floor; C14 stained glass, including some C13 grisaille glass, in middle windows of south and north walls; 5-bay late C15 roof, arch-braced to carved corbels. The carved oak effigies are very rare, and represent Sir Robert Archard (1353) and his wives Joan (13361 and Agnes (1356). It is thought that Sir Robert was responsible for the building of the chancel and transepts in the early C14. Buildings of England, Berkshire, pp. 223-4.

Listing NGR: SU3468287546

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 223-4

National Grid Reference: SU 34684 87540


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048702 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2017 at 12:17:31.

End of official listing