CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1048718

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048718 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 14:22:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse (District Authority)

Parish: Kingston Lisle

National Grid Reference: SU 32618 87622

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGSTON LISLE SU38NW 6/88 Church of St. John the Baptist 21/11/66 (Formerly listed as Church of St. John)

GV II*

Parish church. Chancel c.1200, early C19 vestry; nave c.1200; bell turret and porch c.1883. Rendered walls, except chalk and sarsen coursed rubble to vestry, limestone dressings, slate roof. East window with reticulated tracery; 2-bay chancel with one-and 2-light early C14 windows with reticulated tracery and one - light lancets of c.1200. Early C19 vestry with double flue chimney stack to north has plank door with shouldered arch and 3-light windows with cinquefoiled heads and label mould over. Nave has one lancet of c.1200 and two 2-light early C19 windows with segmental heads to south wall: north wall has one 2- light and one 3-light mid C17 stone-mullioned window; late C19 timber porch on stone base; north door c.1200 has dog tooth ornament to semi-circular arch, engaged columns to jambs, and studded door with decorative iron hinges of c.1200. At west end is timber bell-turret with spirelet, c.1883. Interior: chancel has some C14 stained glass in south window. C14 wall paintings around east and north windows depict figures of St. Peter and St. Paul on a ground diapered with sexfoil flowers, large figures of the saints; Herod's Feast with Salome dancing,decollation of the Baptist below, the Baptist's head on head of Christ with a cruciform nimbus and Herod with Salome bearing a charger; mid C17 panelling behind altar, mid C17 balustraded altar rail, mid C17 two-bay roof with moulded bridging beam and rafters. Mid C17 chancel screen. Nave: mid C17 pulpit has carved tester with richly panelled support, and each face bearing carved escutcheon; plain font of c.1200; late C19 benches have C15 bench ends with traceried heads and arms, instruments of the passion etc. 4-bay, mainly C17, roof with carved king post. [Buildings of England, Berkshire, p.161.1 ]

Listing NGR: SU3261887622

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 250718

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 161

End of official listing