CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1048781
Date first listed:
21-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048781 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 05:34:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Longcot
National Grid Reference:
SU 27396 90718

Details

1. LONGCOT

SU 29 SE 2/18 21.11.66 Church of St Mary

II*

2. C13 refenestrated in the C15, given a W tower in 1722 and restored in 1897. 5 Bay nave, 2 bay chancel, W tower, N vestry and N porch. Rubble stone and roughcast to the nave, rubble stone to the chancel and finely jointed ashlar to the tower. Dressed stone quoins and copings with gabled stone tiled roofs. The gable ends have Victorian cross finials, 3 storey classical style W tower with diagonal buttresses and pyramidal set-offs that reach to the mid point of the second storey. There are blind and keyed round arched openings to the 2nd storey and similar openings to the bell stage with wooden louvres. The whole is divided by plain string courses but falters in its proportions at the plain parapet. This is due to the disappearance of four stone corner urns. The N door has a flat entablature,wafer thin like the rest of the tower detailing, and the door itself is of studded planks. Above this a late C19 2 light window has been inserted into a classical opening. The S wall of the nave has one flat-headed 2 light Perpendicular window, 2 C19 Perp style windows under pointed heads and one C19 3 light window a flat head. All these have dripstones. The N wall of the nave has 1 small Perp cusped lancet under a flat head another 2 light Perp window under a pointed head, a large Perp window of panelled lights and 2 renewed Perp 2 light windows under flat heads. The chancel S wall has 2 Perp windows, one with 4 cusped lights with a quatrefoil above under a flat head with a dripstone and one of 3 lights under a flat head. The N wall has a plain lancet C19 Decorated E window of 2 lights. The vestry has a 2 cusped light window under a flat head. The N porch is timber faced with a carved bargeboard and a plank door. The N doorway is C13 with a moulded trefoiled head supported on slim colonettes and stiff leaf capitals. Aiseless interior with open rafter roofs, that to the nave with 5 heavy tie beams from which spring crown posts. The tower arch is classical with a keystone and square abaci, that to the N is inscribed with the date 1722. C13 Chancel arch on plain imposts has the remains of the rood stairs behind its N jamb. There is also a C13 - trefoiled piscina in the chancel S wall. A plain Greek Revival mural tablet on the S wall of the nave commemorates Elizabeth Hughes, died 1787 and her sister Mary Ann, died 1805 and is signed Westmacott. The nave windows are filled with badly fired mid-Victorian stained glass that was brought from Newbury parish church in about 1935. The polygonal pulpit is a fine piece of Jacobean woodwork with much strapwork and arcading, the altar table is also Jacobean of plain design and a 6 foot high painted Royal Arms of 1733 lies beside the tower arch.

Listing NGR: SU2739690718

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
250564
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01388/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Gale. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].