CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1048964
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, THE SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048964 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 13:22:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, THE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Eynsham
National Grid Reference:
SP 43305 09226

Details

EYNSHAM THE SQUARE SP4309 (South side) 4/179 Church of St. Leonard 12/09/55 GV II*

Church. Late C13 chancel and south aisle; nave, north aisle and west tower of c.1450: restored in 1856 by William Wilkinson and 1892 by H. Drinkwater. Coursed limestone rubble; squared stone to west tower. Gabled stone slate roofs and Welsh slate aisle roofs. Late C19 Perpendicular-style east window. 3-bay chancel has late C13 two-light windows and a pointed chamfered priest's doorway to south; similar window and mid C19 vestry with lancets to north. Late C13 south aisle, with buttresses: 2-light east window with quatrefoil in head; side wall has, from east, late C13 two-light window with unusual cusped heads, a similar window with cinquefoiled heads, a late C15 studded door set in a square-headed surround with quatrefoils carved in spandrels, and a late C15 three-light window with panel tracery. 3-bay late C15 north aisle has fleuron frieze, offset buttresses and 3-light windows with panel tracery; crenellated 2-storey south porch has 2-light square-headed window above 4-centred doorway with C18 panelled double-leaf doors; pointed moulded south doorway. Late C15 four-bay clerestory has gargoyle rainwater spouts, and label moulds over 2-light cinquefoil-headed windows; late C15 five-light west window with panel tracery to nave. Late C15 three-stage tower with string courses and buttresses, and slit lights to stair-turret: 3-light west window and belfry windows; gargoyles to string course beneath crenellated parapet. Interior: chancel has mutilated late C13 statue niche to east: trefoiled piscina to south and early C18 communion rail with turned balusters; mid C19 arch-braced roof. Mid C19 chancel arch and king-post nave roof supported on C15 head corbels. Late C17 bolection-panelled pulpit (upper stage only), and C15 octagonal font with traceried panels and frieze of angels. 3-light Perpendicular window to north chapel. 5-bay nave arcades, with moulded capitals on oblong piers with concave mouldings: concave-moulded archway to west tower. C15 bench at west end of nave has traceried end-panels: other fittings are C20 and late C19. Three recesses in south wall of south aisle. Mid/late C19 south aisle roof on C15 head corbels, and C15 north aisle roof with moulded beams and braces. Wall painting: fragments of a C14 Life of St. Catherine in north wall of chancel; adjoining window has stonework painted with red-ochre bands. Monuments: chancel has wall tablet to James Preston, d.1805; another to John Esher, and Mary Bartholomew, d.1724, 1752 and 1762, set in architectural frame. Other C18 and C19 wall tablets include, in nave, John Rogers, with a broken pediment and shouldered architrave; Anne Bedwell, d.1728, with cherubs flanking portrait medallion; and John Rogers, d.1714. North aisle has reset brasses to John Martin, d.1610, Richard Martin, d.1617, and vicar William Emmot, d.1584. Stained glass: chancel has memorial glass of 1902 and 1930; south aisle windows of 1918 and to west, fragments of C14 and C15 glass including St. Thomas. Other windows retain leaded cases. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.600-601; Bodleian Library, M.S. Top Oxen for late C18 and C19 drawings; National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SP4330509226

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
252263
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 600-01

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09098/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].