CHURCH OF ST MARY BARNINGHAM WINTER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1049180
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY BARNINGHAM WINTER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY BARNINGHAM WINTER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049180.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:44:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY BARNINGHAM WINTER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Matlask
National Grid Reference:
TG 14665 35680

Details

MATLASKE BARNINGHAM TQ 13 NW 3/65 Church of St. Mary, Barningham Winter 4.10.60 GV II*

Parish church in grounds of Barningham Hall. Medieval and 1830, partly ruined. Flint with some iron conglomerate, plain tiles. West tower, nave and south porch in ruins. Chancel in use with west addition of 1830. Diagonal buttresses with stone dressings to full height tower; west window and bell stage windows of 2 lights with cusped heads under a quatrefoil; tall arch to nave with chamfered jambs and polygonal shafts; octagonal Purbeck marble font with sloping faces on a fat octagonal stem. Roofless south porch; marble coffin lid at threshold; moulded arch of jambs only with inner round shafts and capitals. South doorway has hollow chamfered arch with shallow roll moulding. North doorway of hollow chamfered arch on plain chamfered jambs. Diagonal buttresses to nave; no north opening; no south wall. Addition of 1830 within nave of knapped and galletted flint with plain tiles to roof; crow stepped gables with medieval pierced stone quatrefoil and embattled parapet; west doorway of 4-centred arch having foliage and Mott arms in spandrels, lable stops inscribed ITM (John Thurston Mott 1785 - 1847) and dated 1830; 3-light window above under 4-centred arch. Chancel of uncoursed flint with diagonal buttresses. Crow stepped gables in red brick, embattled parapet in gault brick; small blocked opening in west wall with brick dressings; two 2-light Reticulated traceried windows to north and south, those to north side renewed. Central blocked priests door to south has ogee head mould with trefoil finial. 3-light Reticulated east window. Interior: boarded roof with carved bases of early C20. Gallery to west of chancel arch in 1830 addition. Piscina and sedilia in one arcade with free standing slender piers having double roll moulded arches under continuous hood mould, trefoil headed 4th arch. Fragments of C15 glass in north window (west); fragments of Dutch glass dated 1613 in north window, east, from Barningham Hall inserted 1955; Charles I achievement in east window. Military brass to John Wynter, c1412, London D, on south wall, restored and mounted on wood. Memorial reredos in Portland stone showing soldiers of 1914-18 war beneath the cross.

Listing NGR: TG1466535680

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224084
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06412/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Diane Randell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].