Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1049826

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1987



© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049826 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 14:17:12.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: High Kelling

National Grid Reference: TG 09844 39836


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/66 Thornfield Residential Home for the Elderly, 27.9.72 (formerly listed as Home Place Convalescent Home


Country house, 1903-4 by E.S. Prior; of Arts and Crafts movement; mass concrete faced with uncoursed flint, carstone quoins, carstone and on-edge tile decorations, pantile roof. Butterfly plan, 5 bay range flanked by angled wings to south and east. 2 storeys, basement and attics. Principal tie to south-east: central 3 bays of 2 storeys and attic, hipped roof, terrace to front with splayed walls and semi-circular stone flight of steps with pebble flint risers leading down to garden; centre 3 bays have forward loggia with octagonal carstone piers supporting shaped parapet with decorative work of lozenge carstone with tiles set lozengewise, central lunette. (Loggia encased by flat roofed bow fronted glazed sunlounge of 1965 with carstone base). 3 2-light leaded casements to first floor; parapet above of horizontal bands of decorative tiles and carstone flanking band of decorative flint lozenges, sundial in centre under raised semi-circular head; recessed attic behind has 2 raking roof dormers each with 3-light leaded casements. Parapeted gables to front. Bays 1 and 5 of 3 storeys with random carstone and zig-zag tile decoration; leaded casements of 3 flights to first and 2nd floors. 2 bay 2-storey angled wings to left and right have cloisters now glazed, onto terrace with carstone piers decorative parapet above as for central 3 bays of facade; lean-to roof above cloister has one recessed 3-light window. Cloister return to gables glazed with decorative parapet above; gable ends of wings canted, large external stacks to far sides having carstone lozenges and quoins, each with 2 tall shafts of tiles, one a lozenge, the other a spiral, oeil de boeuf to each attic. Entrance front, west facade of south wing: tall facade of 5 bays, 2 storeys, basement and attic, enclosed by the angled stacks at the gable returns; 2 storeyed projecting canted porch to central bay, 2 tall spiral chimney shafts of tiles flank the central bay. Uncoursed flint with quoins and lozenge decoration in carstone, horizontal carstone bands above and below ground floor windows, horizontal bands of herringbone tiles below first floor windows and to parapet. Carstone dressings to 2-light casements with glazing bars to ground floor, tile dressings to 2-light casements, mostly leaded, to first floor. Porch: central double leaved ledged and battened door with semi-circular fanlight having leaded intersecting tracery below inner car- stone arch; outer tile arch with carstone keystone supported by 2 octagonal carstone piers, all beneath decorated parapet with gables; small leaded windows either side; broad band of decorative geometric carstone and tiles below first floor windows, decorated shaped parapet above incorporating large lead lozenge. To left and right of porch carstone arches to basement, those to bays 1 and 5 with 2-light leaded casements, those to bays 2 and 4 giving access to doors. 2 roof lights. Wall sweeps to left and right, of uncoursed flint with tile string course, terminating in square carstone piers. Rear facade to north-west: 2 storeys, attic and basement, central external chimney stack flanked by gabled bays, to either side at an angle the gable ends of the south and east wings; carstone and tile decorative courses continued from west front; central stack with carstone quoins and lozenges tapering to semi-circular head, decorated with tiles and carstone, 3 tall shafts of tiles, the central one being spiral; semi-circular carstone arch to basement below stack. Full height semi-circular headed lights either side of stack, each with oculus with glazing bars to attic above. Ground floor windows of gable ends renewed, 2-light leaded casements to first floor, small 2-light casements to attic. Semi-circular carstone arches to basements, those to gable ends with doors, those either side of central stack with 2- light leaded casements. Single storey one bay service room with hipped roof to right against wall sweep from west front, service range to left from gable of east wing terminates in hexagonal dairy, hexagonal roof of pantiles (lantern lost), Diocletian window to north-west face, two doors with segmental carstone heads to main yard and kitchen yard, interior with 3 apsed alcoves with ceramic tiles slabs. Jill Franklin: Edwardian Butterfly Houses Architectural Review April 1975. Alistair Service: Edwardian Architecture 1977. Clive Aslet: The-Last Country Houses 1982. Interior not inspected at time of resurvey.

Listing NGR: TG0984439836


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 224607

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Aslet, C, The Last Country House, (1982)
Service, A, Edwardian Architecture a Handbook to Building Design in Britain 1890-1914, (1977)
'Architectural Review' in April, (1975)

End of official listing