TG 13 NW
Church of St Mary
Medieval parish church, restored 1868, flint (Quaternary and Quarry) with Lincolnshire Limestone dressings, lead roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north porch.
Embattled tower of uncoursed galletted knapped and whole flint to first stage, knapped flint to second and third stage and parapet, tower clock of 1888 to north face, weathervane of pair of horses, ploughman and tree; continuous moulding to west doorway, two-light west window, bell openings of two trefoil headed lights under a quatrefoil.
West and north walls of aisles part rendered with flint chips, iron conglomerate in west wall. North and south aisles each with three windows under square heads of three cuspheaded lights and panel tracery, hollow chamfered mullions; brick buttresses. Clerestorey to north and south of large galletted knapped flints, five windows each side of two lights with quatrefoils above, the three to the nave having arches of alternating knapped flints and bricks.
Flint chancel walls rendered with flint chips, some iron conglomerate in east wall; mid C19 east window of three lights with panel tracery; diagonal stepped buttress to south-east of large knapped flints with stone dressings; priest's doorway and renewed two-light geometric windows to south chancel. Three-light east window of south aisle blocked. South doorway with continuous deep roll moulding. C19 north porch, knapped flint, angle buttresses, deep roll moulded arch having shafts and angel stops, three square lights in stone to each return; C19 north doorway with continuous moulding, elaborate angel stops to hood.
Interior: three bay arcades to north and south both having octagonal piers and double hollow chamfered arches, the inner arches to south arcade rising from stone corbels at either end, a grotesque to the west, a C19 head of Christ with vines to east; niche for stoup in respond to west of north arcade. Arch braced roof to nave dated 1910, braces rising alternately from wall posts on C15 stone angel corbels and from wooden angel corbels, fretwork frieze of angels and dragons, principal rafters moulded, painted heraldic bosses. Lower chancel of two bays continuous with nave; jambless chancel arch rising from C19 angel corbels, single multi-hollow chamfered arches to north and south aisles, C13 double piscina across angle of window arris with arcade of slender Purbeck marble colonettes with double quatrefoil above light; sedilia in dropped window rear arch; Easter sepulchre to north with four-centred arch to recess under crocketted ogee arch having blank shields either side, blank arcade of three ogee arches below slab; arch braced roof renewed; brass tablet to Joseph Clarke Rector, 1700, with stone surround having cherubs below, Purbeck marble slab with indents for kneeling husband and wife c.1540, both in north wall; several heraldic ledger slabs in Tournai marble including Zurishaddai Lang of Baconsthorpe Hall (qv 7/2) and Zurishaddai Girdlestone, Rector, 1767. South aisle: restored arch braced roof with heraldic bosses; C15/C16 heraldic glass in windows from Baconsthorpe Castle (qv 7/1) inserted 1958 during restoration after bomb damage of 1942; canvas achievement of George III; large alabaster monument on east wall dated 1593 to Sir Wm. and Anne Heydon, kneeling figures in ¾ relief with some pigment remaining, both under Renaissance arches with strapwork soffits and both facing sinister, achievement above; several monumental brasses without matrices affixed to east wall including Anne Heydon 1561 in heraldic mantle, various inscriptions and arms of Dodge 1642 charged with breast distilling milk. Tall jambless tower arch, screen to tower of C15 fretwork quatrefoils and roses brought together 1924; octagonal font, 1866, on Maltese cross base having floral and geometric designs to faces. C19 screen across north aisle incorporating fragments of C15 screen.
Listing NGR: TG1274136862