Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049931.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:57:08.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Norfolk (District Authority)
Barton Turf
National Grid Reference:
TG 34339 21865


BARTON TURF CHURCH ROAD TG 32 SW 2/12 Church of St. Michael 16.4.55

- I

Parish church. C14 nave and aisles, C15 west tower. Aisles and chancel remodelled C15 (bequest dated 1494 for this work), south chancel chapel 1440- 45. Restored 1890 and 1934. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. 3 stage tower supported by flushwork diagonal buttresses on flushwork plinth. Arched west doorway within 3 orders of double wave mouldings below 3-light west window. Above window a cusped statuary niche below square hood on labels. String courses divide storeys. Square ringing chamber ventilation panels in form of cusped 4 petal tracery with hoods on labels. 2-light louvred belfry windows, the tracery now removed. Crenellated flushwork parapet. Stair tower to south-east. 2-light west window of south nave aisle. Gabled south porch of knapped flint and with blocked entrance. Gable rebuilt in brick 1890. Diagonal corner buttresses and stepped side buttresses, all with shields and flushwork quatrefoils on plinths. 3-light Perpendicular nave aisle windows north and south elaborated by rising supermullions. 4 2-light clerestory windows of early C14 with single reticulation units. South chancel chapel of 2 bays lit through one 3-light Perpendicular south window and supported by 2 stepped side buttresses and low diagonal east buttress. Diagonal eastern chancel buttresses. Restored 4-light east window of sub- arcuated type. 2 Perpendicular. 2-light north chancel windows under depressed arches. Square 2 storey C15 north porch of knapped and coursed flint. Diagonal buttresses to ground floor developed into square corner turrets rising to crenellated parapet. Heraldic shields decorate plinth. Arched entrance below square hoods on head stops, the spandrels with shields and tracery. Above are 3 statuary niches under nodding ogee canopies. String course below parapet enriched by carved patera, mask, rose and-lion. 2-light reticulated side windows and single square lancets to parvis. Interior of porch vaulted with 2 bay tierceron vault with carved and painted foliate bosses. Ribs stone, cells plastered brick. C14 . inner door mouldings. interior. 4 bay arcade of octagonal piers with polygonal capitals and bases. Double chamfered arches. Perpendicular tower arch of hollow and roll mouldings on semi-circular responds. Double hollow chamfered chancel arch on polygonal responds. King post nave roof 1890 with straight braces. Plastered and boarded aisle roofs. Wave moulded arch leads from south aisle into chancel chapel. Blocked rood stair door in north chancel arch pier and an open door to east. Plain sedilia and cinquefoiled arched angle piscina in south-east nave chapel. Excellent chancel screen c.1440, coved to west and with skeleton vault. 3 bays right and left of arched opening, the dado divided into 2 panels each bay. Each panel with base of carved cusped encircled quatrefoils and closely worked tracery head, and each with painting of Court quality. North side : St. Apollonia, St. Citha (or Osyth), St. Raphael, St. Gabriel, Dominaciones, Seraphim. South side : figures representing cherubim, principatus, Throne, Archangels, angels and St. Barbara. Screen lights cusped below coving. Dado of screen between aisle and chancel chapel. 2 bays each side of opening with tracery heads of mouchette tracery. Paintings of lesser quality. North side : St. Edmund, St. Edward the Confessor. South side : St. Olave, Henry VI. 2 bay Perpendicular south chancel arcade of 4 lobes on high polygonal bases and polygonal capitals supporting double wave moulded arches. Boarded and plastered chancel roof. Rafter chapel roof. Ogeed piscina in chapel. Several C16 poppyhead bench ends on C19 chancel stalls. Early C14 octagonal font with trefoil headed lancets to panels of stem and bowl. Fragments of C15 glass in north aisle east window. Wall monument on east wall of chancel chapel to Sarah Norris 1787. Alabaster and marble. Weeping cherub reclines against broken column. Coat of arms above and cresting of a single urn. Inscription panel on apron. 2 brasses in south nave aisle : Thomas Amys 1445 and John Idewynne 1447. 2 brasses in nave : Andree Emmeston 1488 and John Idewyn 1497.

Listing NGR: TG3433921865


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05266/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].