Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050444.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2021 at 14:07:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Norfolk (District Authority)
Trowse with Newton
National Grid Reference:
TG 24551 06864


TROWSE WITH NEWTON THE STREET TG 20 NW (west side) 1/100 Church of St. Andrew 26/11/59 I

Parish church. C13 chancel with much work done, including new east window, 1282-83 under Master Nicholas. C14 west tower, C15 nave, north aisle added 1901 during restorations of 1899-1905. Flint with ashlar dressings. Nave roof of lead, chancel thatched. 3 stage unbuttressed tower. 3-light Perpendicular west window. String courses below ringing chamber and belfry, the former lit through cinquefoiled lancets under square hoods on labels, the latter with 2-light renewed louvred flowing windows. Crenellated parapet. 2 storey south porch supported by diagonal stepped buttresses. Wave moulded entrance arch. 2-light cusped side windows under square hoods on labels. Cusped single lights under square hoods on labels to west, south and east sides of parvise storey. Stair turret in north-west angle. Crenellated parapet hides roof. One bay quadripartite rib vault to porch with transverse and ridge ribs. Double nave moulded inner south doorway. Holy water stoup to right. 2 3-light renewed Perpendicular south nave windows and 2 side buttresses (one blank bay). North aisle with 3 identical windows and a north door. C19 crenellated narthex constructed against south chancel wall and a gabled vestry against north wall (now houses organ). 3-light east window of 1282-83 (restored accurately). Shafts and rolls to jambs and mullions. Side lights trefoiled and centre, taller, light cinquefoiled. Over side lights are 2 quatrefoils tipping inwards and they carry a diagonal quatrefoil in tracery head. This window design is extremely advanced for its date. Above dado to right of window a statuary niche. Below it an inscription recording construction of chancel by William de Kirbly, Prior of Norwich Cathedral between 1272-88. Interior. Tall tower arch, double chamfered. Octagonal 4 bay north arcade of 1901 carrying double chamfered arches. Nave roof of moulded principals on arched braces dropping to wall posts on corbels. Moulded purlins and ridge piece. Octagonal C15 font. Against stem are crouching lions, eagles and sitting figures. Winged angels under bowl. Bowl panels have 4 lions and angels bearing shields (on the shields emblems of the Trinity and Instruments of Passion). In the nave a brass to Elizabeth Dalyson 1585 : full height with inscription panel. Boarded C19 chancel roof. C19 arch into narthex. Trefoiled piscina of 1282-83 : pierced spandrels and with roll mouldings. Mullions of east window enriched by filleted rolls. Jambs have rolls only. Around pulpit are 3 Baroque timber life-sized figures of David playing a harp and 2 angels blowing trumpets. Probably German.

Listing NGR: TG2455106864


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01831/37
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.M Trendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].