Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050456.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 00:42:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Norfolk (District Authority)
Framingham Pigot
National Grid Reference:
TG 27795 03600


FRAMINGHAM PIGOT TG 20 SE 5/16 Church of St. Andrew II* Parish church. 1859 by Robert Kerr. Knapped flint and ashlar dressings, the steeple entirely of stone. Plain tile roofs. Nave, north-west steeple, chancel and north chancel chapel. Extravagant, bold and incongruous Decorated style. 3 stage tower of square plan with stepped angle buttresses rising to top of third stage. To south-west corner a polygonal stair turret, reducing at each stage, ends in a pyramidal roof. It is lit through circular windows. Spherical triangles to ground floor. On east side a small doorway below a spherical triangle. Vaguely Decorated tracery to windows of first storey, of one or 2 lights. North window of second storey is divided into 2 separate lancets. Small spherical triangles to east and west sides. A modified broach carries tower into octagonal drum pierced by single light traceried windows. Above is a short spire with gabled lucarnes. Elaborately moulded west doorway contained in large gable. In gable head a cusped statuary niche containing statue. A blind arcade extends right and left of doorway. 3-light High Decorated west window. More modest gabled south porch. Stepped side buttresses to nave and angle buttresses at east end. 3 2-light nave windows to north and south favour Geometric phase of Decorated style, those to the north imitating c.1300 designs, those to the south of c.1280 patterns. Chancel side windows : to the south are 2 2-light c.1300 designs similar to those of the nave north while the north chancel chapel reinforces this in a display of the style with a 3-light intersecting design with 3 encircled quatrefoils. Proto-Perpendicular surfaces just to the east in a 2-light square-headed window. Chancel supported by stepped side buttresses, diagonal to east. Gabled south porch over Priests' door. 3-light east window has rather confused tracery : 3 encircled trefoils. Interior. Windows all have shafts in jambs with capitals. Stalls at west end of nave have tall canopies. North vestry has stone screen on 3 carved arches standing on 4 polished marble shafts. Above arches is an inscription frieze and above again a carved arcade of arches within gables. Square carved font, on 4 polished marble columns and a central marble drum. Roof of principals on engaged braces dropping to wall posts and stone corbels. 2 tiers purlins trenched behind principals. Collars on arched braces. Chancel arch on semi-circular responds with multiply moulded arch. Above arch one painted representation of God, St. George and 2 angels. Chancel roof as nave but without braces and wall posts. Moulded arch to organ chamber in north wall. One bay sanctuary at east end.

Listing NGR: TG2779503600


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01833/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.M Trendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].