Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050466.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 23:56:30.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 27081 01701


PORINGLAND THE STREET TG 20 SE (south side) 5/48 Church of All Saints 26/11/59 I Parish church. Flint, some brick and ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Late C12 or early C13 west tower with C14 belfry stage. Early C15 nave, clerestory added late C15 (money left in 1495). C14 chancel. Restored 1833 and 1861- 83 when south porch replaced and chancel arch built. Various furnishings renewed. 3 stage circular tower with octagonal belfry. Pointed brick lancet to west. No ringing chamber windows. 2-light cusped and louvred belfry windows to alternate facets with blind windows between. Plain parapet. C19 brick gabled south porch. 2 windows to north and south nave of 2 lights under depressed arches except south-eastern one which is larger and of 3 lights. Simple cusping to tracery heads. 6 clerestory windows north and south of rendered brick. They are of 2 pointed lancets each under 4-centred arches and below 4-centred hood moulds with label stops. 2 eastern windows on south side of reduced height to allow for larger nave window here. 2 rendered stepped side buttresses to each side of nave. Gabled north porch used as vestry in C19 and now a passageway to vestry of 1970's. 2 2-light chancel windows north and south of C14 : diagonal 4-petal tracery. Between them a stepped buttress each side and, to south, an arched priests' door with hood mould on labels. Diagonal eastern buttresses and 3-light east window opened up and restored 1861-83 : 2 encircled quatrefoils in tracery. To each side of window and in apex of gable are trefoiled statuary niches. Apex niche has further niche above it. Interior. Wave moulded tower arch without responds. 7 bay hammerbeam nave roof very likely of 1495. Hammerbeams on solid arched braces carved with floral and heraldic devices. Polygonal wall posts with capitals and bases and carved wall arches. Short hammerposts carry thin arched braces to collars. 2 tiers moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. King posts. Octagonal font with crouching lions against stem and symbols of 4 Evangelists to bowl panels. The man and lion are repeated and 2 remaining panels have rosettes. C19 chancel arch with circular responds. C19 boarded chancel roof. Chancel east window contains 3 C14 figures in stained glass. Fragments also in chancel side windows.

Listing NGR: TG2708101701


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01833/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.M Trendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].