GOWTHORPE MANOR HOUSE
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1050515
Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951
Statutory Address: GOWTHORPE MANOR HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050515 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Mar-2019 at 06:49:15.
Statutory Address: GOWTHORPE MANOR HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: South Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: TG 20848 02321
TG 20 SW SWARDESTON GOWTHORPE
6/108 Gowthorpe Manor House 2-10-51 II*
House, C16 and C17 with additions and alterations of 1908, for the Styward (Steward) family. Brick, part encased timber frame, plain tiles, crowstepped gables. 2 storeys and attic. Early-C16 brick encased timber framed range to west with mid-C16 stair turret to rear; T shaped C17 brick range to east, ranges joined by narrow early-C17 link; 2 porches, both dated 1574 to west of west range and east of wing to east range; extensive service additions to north-east dated 1908 incorporating some C17 brick work. C16 range to west: timber framed, 4 bays remaining of 6, encased in brick, dated 1669; facade to west: 3 bays, 2 storeys and attic; varied ages of brickwork, crowstepped gables; end internal stack to left with 2 octagonal C19 shafts in C16 style of decorative moulded brick with cusped caps. Single storeyed porch to centre bay with ashlar facade, spiked stone ball finials to gable and gabled parapet base; semi-circular arch with trefoils to spandrels, dated 1574 above; no interior door or doorway; return walls rendered with cyma recta cornice. Openings to facade of 1908 with Tudor grille leaded lights and heavy wooden frames having ovolo moulded mullions and transoms, ground floor with 4 lights to bay 1, 2 of 2-lights in former openings with cambered arches to bay 3, all with square hood moulds; 3 2-light openings to first floor; attic with 3 pedimented roof dormers of 1983, lead roofs and returns, 2-light wrought iron leaded casements in C17 style. Right return of range to south with 5-light opening to ground floor to match west facade; First floor with 4-light mullioned and transomed window in rendered brick with pediment and quoined jambs; gable rebuilt with similar pedimented attic window of 2-lights; gable with date 1669 in iron. Left return to north in English bond cutting off 2 bays of timberframed range, 3 blocked openings to centre with cambered heads now to front of later internal stack. Rear: link to east range to centre; rear to south of link with flint base, external stack with central portion removed to form tall recess with 4-centred arch, single stack to first floor capped by C19 octagonal decorative C16 style shafts. Rear to north of link with 3-storeyed stair turret of colourwashed brick, flint and stone to north, rendered to east; ground and first floor to north and east with 3-light hollow chamfered mullioned openings, small 2-light openings to second floor. Interior: ground floor now one room remodelled in C18 with 2 fluted pilasters to front and rear, panelled wainscotting, semi-circular shelved cupboards to recesses either side of rear wall fireplace; north gable end fireplace with heavy carved wood surround, both fireplaces with Dutch tiles. First floor with massive doorway with ¼ mouldings from stair turret, lobby with C17 panelling; south room perhaps part of earlier cross wing with heavy corner post and braced tie to east, later timberframed partition. Attic with 4 numbered bays, formerly 6, 3-tiered roof with l5m principal rafters, clasped purlins and collars, curved wind braces, roof partially renewed. Stair turret a later C16 addition, entrance now from link with 4-centred doorway with treble roll mouldings, spandrels carved with Styward crest and arms; square headed ledged and battened door with wrought iron fittings; wooden stair newel; treads with decorative stops at newel, lower treads renewed; timber framing between turret and range visible. Link between east and west ranges, early C17, English bond brick and pantiles, 2 storeys partially encasing stair turret to south. Facade to north: moulded brick platband; ground floor with rendered brick cross window to left having Tudor grille leaded lights, brick doorway to right formerly rendered, semi-circular arch with panel above flanked by brick pilasters and containing semi-circular moulded floral decoration. Facade to south: ground floor with similar doorway to right, 3-light openings to left and to centre first floor with rendered mullions and transoms. East range: early C17, brick, crowstepped gables. Facade to east with forward central 2-storeyed wing, with crowstepped gable, all of English bond, 3 bays, 2 storeys and attic; gabled forward wing to east of 2 storeys and attic; 2-storeyed service ranges of 1908 to north-east extending from angle of east wing and main range. Internal gable end stacks to main range, 2 C19 shafts to south stack of moulded brick with castellated caps, 4 similar C19 shafts to north stack with rose decoration. Bay 1 to east with windows of 1908 as to west range, 3-lights to ground floor, 2-lights to first floor with lattice leaded lights. Forward wing to central bay with part external stack to first floor having 2 C19 shafts as to main range, openings flanking stack of single transomed light as to south gable of west wing, 2 similar square attic lights. Added single-storey porch to ground floor in style of porch of 1574 to west wing: brick, with stone gable parapet as to west range; entablature with drop finials left and right, cartouche with date 1574 as to west porch; renewed ledged and battened 4-centred door with spandrels having Styward arms and crest; lozenge opening to gable pediment; small lights to returns probably of 1908. Left return of range to south: small opening to ground floor left; first floor with 2 rendered brick cross windows with pediments, 2 small square openings to attic of rendered brick with rendered pediments and quoined jambs. Right return of range to north: some lozenge decoration of patterned headers, moulded brick platband; 2 inserted openings to ground floor, first floor with 2 rendered brick openings as to south return, attic with 2 blocked openings as to south gable but with vertical iron bar. Interior of east range: ground floor with central cross passage from wing to link; room to north with large fireplace to gable with inglenook seats; large bressumer; lambs tongue stopped tie beams; fossil rendered mullioned window to east and west walls. Room to south with narrowed fireplace in chimney bay having 4-centred stone arch, Steward arms above in wood with semi-circular headed arch surround with guilloche decoration; cupboard to right with cockscomb hinges. Large attic of 6 bays and chimney bay either end; 3-tier butt purlin roof with curved braces; lowered purlins to bays 2 and 5 to west, one now with inserted dormer; chamfered principal rafters; brick fireplaces to each gable, that to south with basket arch, chamfered jambs with decorative stops, oven to left; fireplace to north gable with 4-centred arch with nick stopped chamfers to jambs. Service range dated 1908 in iron to north-east, of red brick in Flemish bond, crowstepped gables, wood mullioned windows as to west range. Attached garden wall to west, in brick, continuing north return of west range and returning to west with arched gateway.
Listing NGR: TG2084802321
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 226992
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing