- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- KETTERINGHAM HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050550 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 05:08:43.
- Statutory Address:
- KETTERINGHAM HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Norfolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TG 16492 02532
TG 10 SE KETTERINGHAM
5/85 Ketteringham Hall
Country house, late C16, remodelled in Gothick style c.1839 with addition of hall and conservatory by Thomas Allason for Sir John Boileau; additions and alterations of 1852 by Thomas Jeckell (Jekyll). Brick, formerly colour- washed, plain tiles. C16 half H to south-west infilled to south-west 1852. North-east range extended by front range c.18Q0, remodelled c.1839. Principal facade to north-east: symmetrical, 9 bays, 2 storeys and attic, hipped roof behind embattled parapet. Double string course with sawtooth cornice to parapet extending to returns and C16 wings and continuing to pediment over central 3 bays. Clasping polygonal angle buttresses with embattled turrets rising above parapet. Central 3 bays articulated by square pilasters rising above parapet with pyramidal caps; embattled pediment; canted porch to ground floor with flat roof having quatrefoil panels to parapet, buttresses at porch angles rising to crocketted pinnacles; central cant in limestone ashlar with Gothick doorway having shields in spandrels with initials (IPB and CSB, John Peter Boileau and Catherine Boileau); Gothick lights with Y tracery in wood to left and right. cants. Stone shield to pediment over blocked light showing Boileau arms with many quarters. Ground floor bays 1-3 and 7-9 with tall openings under square hood moulds of 3 Gothick-headed lights, all mullions of wood; first floor with similar openings of 2 lights, central bay with 3 lights. To rear, 3 stacks of 4, 4 and 3 linked octagonal shafts, probably of C16, rebuilt with C19 caps. Recessed single bay to right of 1840 with tall ground floor opening of 2-lights with Gothick glazing bars above transom; frieze between floors as to parapet. Hall of 1840 attached to right; Perpendicular style, brick, formerly colourwashed, gable to front, angle buttresses; crocketted pinnacles at angles and along returns, parapet to returns and gable. large 6-light Perpendicular style window to front gable with stone mullions and panel tracery. Datestone VICTORIA / 1840 to gable. Interior with large Gothic fireplace to south-east. The hall was erected for social events of both The Boileau family and their servants and tenantry. Facade to south-east: in 3 parts: to left, conservatory c.1840, rendered, single storey, 5 bays in Perpendicular style; gable to left return; parapet with pinnacles at angles and articulating bays. 5 4-centred openings with intersecting glazing bars, centre bay opening to ground with glazed doors; left return with blank quatrefoil above 3-light opening as to south-east facade but with central light to ground as door. Attached to left a gazebo in rendered brick with 4-centred arch to recess, angle buttresses with crocketted pinnacles; rear wall with large marble lozenge of arms of Atkins impaling Walpole (Mrs. Charlotte Atkins was owner 1794-1835). To centre: C16 3 storeyed wing with parapet of c.1839 and polygonal buttresses with turrets left and right as to north-east facade; gable return altered 1852. 2 bays and central chimney bay with large axial stack having 4 linked octagonal shafts with sawtooth cornice. Left bay with Gothick openings to each floor; 2-light Gothick opening to ground floor chimney bay (now stair). Right bay now of 2 storeys with large canted bay window with embattled parapet of c.1839, Gothick lights. The window faces the steps of the terrace q.v. 5/92. Facade to right: the return of double north-east range; 2 bays, 2 storeys and attic; hipped roof with 2 dormers of 3 and 4 lights behind parapet; polygonal buttresses to left and right; openings as to north-east facade, 2 to each floor of left bay, ground floor of right bay with 2 2-light openings having a third between with Gothick lights as to recessed bay to right of north-east facade. Rear to south-west: gables of C16 wings to left and right; centre infilled by Jeckell 1852. Both gables with clasping buttresses as rest of house; crowstepped parapets rebuilt 1852, that to left with tall finial, that to right with external stack and double octagonal shafts, 2 attic lights inserted to right gable, left gable with openings changed to Gothick style. 5 bay central infill of Library to first floor; embattled parapet with Boileau arms to central gablet, first floor with 3 cross windows flanked by single lights, ground floor similar but with C20 additions. Interior: imperial staircase of early C19 to centre of C16 north-east range, stone steps, cast iron balusters, wreathed mahogany handrail curved and ramped. Tall oriel stair-window of 1844 set behind C13 style shafted arch, lights mullioned and transomed with fragments of Flemish stained glass depicting biblical scenes including rondels of Moses in the bullrushes and Daniel in the lions den dated 1573. Room to right of north-east range with panels to walls and central black marble fireplace. South-east wing with C16 stack to second and attic floors; ground floor of C16 north-west wing with jewel stepped tie beams. Ground floor and library of 1852 range with panelled ceilings; 2 relief marbles to ground floor depicting scenes of French history involving the Boileau ancestors, library with Gothick fireplace having ivy tendril and rose briar spray to spandrels.
Norfolk Record Office: architect's plans with work specifications 1852, estate papers 1842-48, Ref. B01 48 and 56, Road Order Map 1827.
Listing NGR: TG1649202532
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing