THE OLD HALL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- THE OLD HALL, STOKE ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050563 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 15:09:19.
- Statutory Address:
- THE OLD HALL, STOKE ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Norfolk (District Authority)
- Caistor St. Edmund
- National Grid Reference:
- TG 23298 03807
TG 20 SW CAISTOR ST. EDMUND STOKE ROAD
6/6 The Old Hall 2-10-51 (formerly listed as Caistor Old Hall) II*
House, dated 1612, for Thomas Pettus, uncoursed broken flint with brick dressings, black glazed pantiles, plain toes to south-east facade, gable parapets. 3 bays, 2 storeys, attic and cellar to front; rear with central stair turret and 2 storeyed wings to left and right. Principal facade to south-east: 3 storeyed central porch with shaped gable and unglazed black pantiles, ground floor with stone dressings, stone doorway with semicircular stone arch having pediment with finials, shield with Pettus arms (fess between 3 annulets) and date 1612 to entablature, graffiti dates 1617 and 1638 to left jamb, door part glazed in crown glass with glazing bars; first and second floor of porch with brick dressings, C17 quoined brick openings infilled with brick, that to first floor containing leaded cross casement under segmental arch, that to second floor with double leaded casement with opening to left return blocked with brick, opening to right return blocked with flint. First and third bays with much brick, remains of brick capped plinth, rendered moulded brick string course, brick dentil cornice. Ground floor with large recessed sashes to ground, glazing bars, 4 x 4 panes, flat arches; first floor first bay with sash with glazing bars under flat arch within former opening; third bay with 3 light leaded casement under segmental head in former opening. Left return with part external gable end stack. 2 openings to first and attic floors. Right return with large external stack in brick with narrow crow steps to offsets, 2 small attic windows. Rear wing to right (north-east) of 2 cells, 2 storeys and attic; crow stepped gable to right, large cross stack to left with 5 linked lozenge shafts renewed. Broken flint with brick eaves courses. Ground floor: doorway to left of first cell of rendered moulded brick, 3-light leaded casement window with transom (replica moulded wood frame) moulded brick surround to right; second cell with moulded brick platband, 6-light leaded casement with moulded mullions, transom and king mullion, C17 glass, hinges renewed. First floor: first cell with 2 leaded cross windows with pintle hinges; second cell with 6-light opening as to ground floor but with original pintle hinges. Gabled roof dormer to first cell with 3-light leaded casement. Right return with crowstepped gable, part external stack with 2 octagonal shafts, 3-light leaded casements with transoms and chamfered brick surrounds to ground and first floor, 2 casement attic windows. Rear wing to left (south-west): forward single bay to right in English bond red brick with dentil cornice, hipped roof; ground floor with French window; first floor with recessed sash with glazing bars, 4 x 4 panes, flat arch; wing to left of 3 bays, 2 storeys and attic in two builds, dentil and saw tooth cornice; gable end internal stack with 4 octagonal shafts; large stack with octagonal shaft between bays 2 and 3, external to earlier bay 3 and part enclosed by roof to later bays 1 and 2 with lower ridge line; irregular and varied fenestration including 5-light casement with transom to bay 1 and tripartite sash to bay 3 ground floor. Left return with 2 blocked openings to first floor and attic. Interior: front range with front and rear central doorways of late C18 with basket headed fanlights with glazing bars, part glazed doors; large brick fireplace to right with 4-centred moulded arch, with wooden surround and console brackets; classical fireplace to left flanked. each side by fluted Corinthian columns. Stair to central rear turret; large moulded frame with jewel stopped chamfers to both ground and first floor of turret; C17 closed string dog-leg staircase with massive turned balusters. Ground floor of right rear wing: first cell with 4-centred moulded brick fireplace; quarter circle moulding with stops to window rear arch; second cell with shaped king mullion. First floor and attics of rear wings with timber studding to partitions. Moulded doorways with jewel stops to attic floor and to second floor of central porch.
Listing NGR: TG2329803807
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing